2007/02/24

I Hate Winter

Seriously, I hate it. For those not in the know right now, the midwest is under siege from winter and it's not supposed to stop until late next week (stupid winter).

I left for my class as is my saturday habit at ohgoditsearly o'clock and almost got stuck. Odd, though, because the snowplow doods hadn't done their dumping on my drive yet. Arriving home at just before 4:00 this afternoon, shock, then amusement, then horrification played over my face in what I can only assume is a suitably comic manner. I was too busy being shocked, then amused, then horrified to properly notice.

Sadly, instead of just taking off the top layer like they've done all season long, the doods did two passes--one for the top layer, one for the harder, dirtier, nastier crap that gets packed down when you drive over it. Might I add that this is the heavier bit.

To add insult to injury, they'd also managed to run what I can only assume was a frontloader up onto my curb depositing yet another waist high pile of the aforementioned heavy snow onto the corner of my lot. Now, for those who don't live in the fine state of Wisconsin, as a resident of the City of Madison, I'm required (by law) to clear the sidewalks in their entirety within 12 hours of snowfall lest I get fined. They don't give warnings. I have a corner lot.

Half an hour later, I deposit my car in its rightful place in my garage. An hour and a half after that, and I fulfill my duty to the City of Madison for another day (ow), at least until it snows like crazy again tonight. And tomorrow. And the day after. And the day after that. And the day after that. And if we're lucky, the day after that. That's right, kids, it's supposed to snow every day up until and including Thursday.

Note that my driveway is not clean. Oh no. They won't fine me for not clearing my driveway. When I was done, though, you coulda eaten off that sidewalk. And now, a mere two hours later, it's already covered again.

I'm so moving somewhere tropical.

2 comments:

Roland said...

I hear that. The postal service refused to deliver mail on account of a foot or so of snow between the mailbox and the road, where the scraper had deposited it. We didn't get mail for 4 days. So much for their motto "Through wind, rain, snow, ice, hail" or whatever.

ktorrek said...

If I survive the next few hours, I'll post today's "fun". This time, with pictures!