2007/12/09

Two Book Recommendations

Since we've been crunching, I haven't had a lot of time to do a whole lot of development at home. So instead, I've been trying to catch up on my reading. As in the title, there are not one, but two books that I'm prepared to recommend to y'all.

The first one is by one Gerald Weinberg
Becoming A Technical Leader. He's the author of such classics as PL-1 Programming: A Manual of Style and
The Psychology of Computer Programming. (The former may not have aged quite as well as the latter for those keeping score.)

It's quite a good text; the kind that really makes you think if you're willing to.

The second is a bunch of stuff that I'd already read, handily polished up and put into dead tree form: Managing Humans by one Michael Lopp of Rands in Repose fame whose link you can also find over there on the right. Rands is the sort of manager I wish I had at my first three jobs but didn't (seriously). Ever wonder if you and your boss are speaking a different language? It's because you are and Rands will tell you all about it. It's good stuff and should be required reading for anyone who manages technical people.

No comments: