2007/01/07

Thousander Club

The Thousander Club is a challenge issued last year by some of the folks at the Low Poly Coop based on an article on GBGames. Original article here with 2007 followup here. The basics of the article was that you need roughly 10,000 hours over the course of 10 years to achieve basic mastery of a subject. Numbers aside, this doesn't seem unreasonable so long as those putting in the time are actually trying to learn, get better, don't get their brains smooshed by aliens or whatever. So the Thousander Club is a group of people trying to put 1K hours into their choice of things to practice while posting their progress in a public place.

I ran into this last year and was fascinated by it, but the ups and downs of stuff and the lateness in the year (Octoberish) meant that I wouldn't put up big numbers. I did manage to log 187 hours total from September 14th to December 31st, notably the first day of BEER development and the last day of GWA. So this year I've thrown my hat in the ring with these guys to see what I can do. I expect that this will be a hard year working two jobs and working through a year of crunch so, sadly, I already forecast a pretty major failure to hit 1000. Nonetheless, it'll be an adventure and I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Sputin said...

So what are you trying to master? Beer making? How about beer drinking? I'd sign up to do 1k hours of that per year....

ktorrek said...

I'm starting my career as a competitive eater. I've decided that this whole technology thing is just too hard.