2018/08/19

Adventures in Miniature Painting #1

Many of you have been regaled of my tale of woe and despair trying to buy a new camera a few years ago to take better pictures of plastic brick creations.  It basically goes like this:

  1. Ask photography enthusiasts about their hobby
  2. Look into really high end and super expensive recommended equipment
  3. Get really confused learning a thousand things that don't really help
  4. Give up in disgust without solving my problem
(If anyone cares, I bought one of these which does way more than I need and fits in my pocket.)

This basically sums up my life with painting minis.  Also, you don't need a DSLR.  The previous go-around, circa summer of 2016, I asked a bunch of my pals who paint, some of them quite well, what I should be doing.  I also started watching how-to videos on the youtoobs as one does.  As one might expect, I was bombarded with a pile of information, some useful, some otherwise.  Problem:  as a n00b, you don't know which things are useful and otherwise.  Hint:  It's because you're a n00b.  

In my case, I spent quite a lot of money and effort going down some bad paths and never finished painting anything.  Then I got busy with other stuff and waited another two years before I tried again.  Some folks might not have ever tried again and that's a sad state of affairs.  I feel like this is a common scenario.  

Since I can't talk about the only thing I'm really qualified to talk about #iworkforacompanywithstupidpolicies I'm going to try talk about this.  In a series.  Because my post count is awful.

Part 2 can be found right here.

No comments: