2008/05/08

Switch?

Over the last, I dunno, few years or so, I've been trying to justify buying a Mac. in fact, it's been long enough that this post has been in my drafts list for the better part of a year and a half. Let's face it, I'm a die hard PC guy and a gamer and Macs just don't stack up in many of the ways I care about.

A brief historical interlude: way back in the day when OSX was first introduced, I remember having talks with one Jeff Kopmanis who at the time was the IT guy at the AI lab where I worked. I trust his opinion and he was Mac optimistic. Fast forward to my near-Chicago days and I had a bunch of friends who were also Mac optimistic, notably one Andy Carra whom you might recall is at least partially responsible for my tastes in laptops.

Around the time I was first writing up this post I was tooling around on AnandTech where I tend to go for hardware news when I want such things and I found this article and this article. Ever since there's been a BEER, I've been toying with the idea of porting it to the mac because, well, I know nothing about programming for the mac and goshdarnit, that's something I'd like to know. I'm told by people in the indie biz that the mac has a pretty captive audience who are just dying to have some games to play on their spiffy machines.

I now give you:
  • Exhibit A: the unbelievably slick design of these lovely slices of awesome
  • Exhibit B: the iPhone which I will own soon (very soon), and
  • Exhibit C: the iPhone SDK which will let me program for the thing

    So yeah. I have a problem with technology; I'm an addict. I have no problem with this. I now own an iMac.

    Oh man.
  • 2 comments:

    Jenny said...

    Well considering you never are home or have time to play games anymore, what do you need another pc for? Or does this mean you are about to become available again? :-)

    ktorrek said...

    The worst of it may be past. I might have just jinxed it.