2024/06/23

Sci-fi Showdown, week 1 (2024 week 25)

 

This week we kick off a new theme which is always fun. I've had a pile of sci-fi characters prepped on my painting table for quite a while and I figured it was time to burn through them as a continuing "I have too many figs on my painting table" effort.

First up we have Liza Thorn from Cyberforge and Pam Pam Flores from Papsikels. Both are 3d prints and printed late last summer. They're both high drama low effort paint jobs which is great. The texturing on both sculpts is excellent which means that the mostly-contrast paint basecoats. Liza's skintones were somewhat hand-mixed. I spent maybe three hours between the two of them which is right about where I want my normal paint jobs to be. Don't be surprised if either or both of these gals show up at some point in the future.

Next up we have Asanis, Mercury Flyer from Reaper and Cree Chief Judah Starwalker from Cyber Forge. I like both of these figs and spent significantly more time on Asanis than on Judah. For Judah I didn't think nearly enough about composition and ended up not really knowing what to do with the pockets and other bits I picked out. I had the nice mahogany on the palette from other work and figured, meh, what the heck? With the black parts of his belt already blocked in and not enough willpower to repaint it, I settled on the same mahogany for his straps. I probably should have done more highlighting but I didn't. Asanis got the blue-gray basecoat several months ago when I had it on my palette leftover from some other work. This happens pretty frequently, especially when I'm wrestling with a fig I'm tired of working on. Not sure if this is good or not.

Last up is an interesting one and not particularly a gaming fig. I've worked with several great folks from Ukraine so I've been following the war more closely than many folks in the US. So when Titan Forge offered this fig and donated proceeds to humanitarian aid, I didn't think twice. This is the Ghost of Kyiv, the mythical ace of the Ukrainian Air Force. This fig was printed on my old printer and sat around like a lot of my figs for quite a while until I started working on this theme. He's another high drama low effort paint job with most of the time wrestling with the blue and yellow on the flag. I could have used better paints and saved my self some time but I didn't.

2024 finished mini counter: 135/208


No comments: