2007/07/17

Old Hardware

Most of the people who read here know me well enough that this isn't a surprise, but for everyone else out there: I have a problem with obsolete computer hardware.

The problem is that I seem to accumulate it at an alarming rate (i.e., greater than zero) and have a real hard time getting rid of it. Currently I own seventeen machines in various states of disrepair. The vast majority of those are functioning but without a real purpose. I never take a machine that I don't intend to use for some purpose of varying nefariousness and while I did use most of them, most of those uses are no longer necessary. That makes me sad, not in the least because I get bitten by the "must have new hardware" bug about every four months.

I don't think there's anything that depreciates in value quite like computer hardware except maybe automobiles and my stock options. Computer equipment just doesn't die that often if you take care of it. Oh sure, you'll have a hard drive or two die but for most parts just don't stop doin' they thang. Some of my (vast) collection I still have uses for but that leaves about a dozen machines I need to offload.

This is where y'all come in. I need help getting rid of these but I'm particular about where they should go. I don't want them in a landfill; I want them in the hands of someone who will put them to use doing whatever or at the very least recycled. So if you know of a good or even slightly disfunctional home that could use an old machine or three, drop me a line.

2 comments:

Roland said...

Make sure you put together the best hardware that WORKS as much as you can and give it away on craigslist, or even better, give it away to goodwill 9and take the tax deduction) or your local school. Yes you would have to contact the school. A few web searches and a email later you can do most of the work figuring out if they'll accept your crap. DO it for the kids!! (And the tax deduction)

ktorrek said...

I've contacted schools before about this stuff and no one would take it (it's too old). I hadn't tried Good Will but I know that Salvation Army won't take computer parts. I'll be surprised if folks on craigslist would take most of these but I'll give it a shot.