2020/07/05

A thing a week 2020, week 27

Starting out for this week I've got bases.  This isn't anywhere near all of them and I don't think they're even the best of them, but this is what I had pictures of.  None of my figs were based--heck most of the bases weren't even painted but now due to James Wappel's tutorials, I've fixed that.  Over the last few weeks I've magnetized, painted, flocked, and otherwise finished every fig I've painted to date.  Luckily for me, that's not very many (~200 or so) and while they're not all winners, they are all done.  Moving forward I'd like to base figs as part of the painting process so we'll see how that goes. 


This is a Reaper Bones Hellhound and a fig I expected to use in a campaign at some point several years ago.  I don't think I did, but as the fig was primed and on the workbench, I figured it was time to paint it.  All told it was around three hours of speed paint.  I was tempted to do OSL but since the creature is casting light and I wanted it to be the focus, I did pretty minimal lighting on the ground.  I think this worked OK but I can't help thinking that I want the darks to be darker and the lights to be lighter.  I probably need to get some fluorescent paints to experiment with which a) hopefully unlocks fun effects, and b) feeds my paint buying addiction.  Watch this space!

This is a Reaper Bones Hajad and speed painted in about three hours over a couple days.  I started with Pro Acryl Transparents which are rapidly becoming my favorite paints while painting some of the bases above.  This was lightened a bit with an off white to finish a shaded base coat.  A couple hours of detail later, this is where I landed.  I've now come full circle on brushes.  I started with ultra cheap synthetic brushes, started buying much more expensive fancy brushes which I still like, and now I've returned to even cheaper synthetic brushes (Wappel's One True Brush(TM), and these awful liners if you're interested).  I have no idea what it all means except that I don't have to worry about destroying brushes anymore.  "Caress the brush, don't crush it," James says.  I literally snapped the ferrule off of one of my favorite brushes I was concentrating so hard.  I pinned it, it's almost good, now.  


Over the last few days this weekend I've been working on this foxy group.  Pretty sure the "fox" came from Reaper Bones Familiars as a dog.  Why paint it like a fox?  The other two figs are in the same color scheme so I figured, why not?  The sculpt isn't particularly good and the mold isn't really helping it at all but it's painted now and that counts for something.  Also, at this point, it's probably clear that I've hooked up my fancy camera.  That should make the shots a) more consistent, and b) less crap.  Next step:  fix my lighting.


Next up we have a Reaper Bones Kogo, Male Kitsune and Dijoro, Female Kitsune.  These are fantastic sculpts and as canine anthropomorphs are both rare in mini form and prevalent in my game, I bought a few of each.  These were primed a really long time ago in preparation for my last campaign which ran about a year and weren't graced with painted versions of these two. 


As I got through the shaded basecoat and into glazing/details I decided to go an extra level.  The two of them (and the "fox") were a total of nine-ish hours over several days and I'm happy with the results.  I got to the point that adding more paint was messing things up so I stopped.  I can see some stuff that's wrong that I'd fix but I don't think I have the skill to fix them.  Right at the moment, I don't think I can do any better than these two.  I'd like to revisit them in the same color scheme in a couple years since I've got dupes and it'll be a good comparison.  My only real gripe is that the Bones molds are so iffy.

Interestingly, the year is halfway done and I'm more than halfway done with my 2020 challenge.  I'ma add a stretch goal for bonus points:  let's hit 100 mins this year anyway.

2020 finished mini counter:  52/50, 4/5 at high quality, 0/1 serious attempts at NMM




No comments: