2020/07/12

A thing a week 2020, week 28

This week we have more minis since I've been on a roll and making good progress.  Given that I'm more or less working for bonus points for the remainder of the year, I'm sinking more time into deliberate practice.  In particular, I'm currently working on brush control, blending, and understanding colors better through a lot of mixing.  I've reached a point that I can crank out a finished piece reliably in a few hours so for a while I'm either going to push a little more in quality or on the other side, push similar quality in less time.

First up we have Reaper Bones Dragonman Warrior (no, not Trogdor) and painted for use as one of the player characters in my every-other-weekend-ish Saturday game should we ever get back to playing in person.  This fig is way more complex than I thought it was and thus it took a lot longer to paint than expected weighing in at around 7 hours over a few days.  His armor is technically painted as non-metallic bronze.  It sells OK on the table but doesn't hold up to scrutiny since it was done mostly as an afterthought.  As such, I don't think I can count it as a "serious attempt" even if I'm OK with the results.

This is a Juliette, Female Sorceress from Reaper Bones.  I don't recall buying this mini so I'm pretty sure she came as a freebie in one of my big orders.  This a small fig and not overly complex.  If I were any good at this and wanted to spend more time, I would have done some freehand on her dress or something but this started as a speed paint and I don't really know what I'm doing.  As I got going, I decided to push the quality a bit and put extra work into the details that are present and into her face which I think turned out well.  All told she was not quite five hours including a partial and very rough basecoat done months ago.  I think the results are good so she'll count as the 5th of my high quality figures.

Number three this week is Deladrin, Female Assassin, also from Reaper Bones.  This is one of the first figs I bought, prepped, and primed and boy does it show.  The mold isn't great and more than a year and a half ago when I prepped this fig, I did a lousy job of dealing with it.  The dagger in my fig is quite different than the one in the mold.  This is a side effect of a very sharp knife and not understanding how soft Bones material is.  Furthermore, most of my attempts to deal with the many mold lines really just resulted in the model being very frayed.  I fixed some of this when I finished painting but there was way more than I could effectively deal with.

If you don't count prepping and priming done sometime in 2018, I started painting this figure in earnest about the same time I painted the Highland Heroine way back in January.  She was supposed to be the third high quality fig for the year but even though I spent a lot of time there and has my first lousy attempt at wet blending, issues with the molding kept me from finishing until now.  I don't remember how much time I spent at the end of last year but if the Highland Heroine was any indication, it's probably in the dozens of hours finished up this evening in about four.  There were lots of issues here mostly dealing with problems I created earlier.  This is the first time I'd stuck so much paint on a fig that I had a real problem, on her face no less, which wasn't super straightforward to resolve.  If the mold had been better or my prep had been better, I think I would have pulled this fig into the higher quality levels but as fate would have it, I just wanted to be done and have to settle for "OK".

And rounding it all out are a pair of wererats from Reaper, specifically Wererat Stalker in blue and Wererat Assassin in red.  As I mentioned in last week's post, my game has a lot of anthropomorphic races in it and it's often hard to find figs that are in the right ballpark.  These two represent two more of the player characters in my Saturday game and I intended to speed paint them.  In retrospect, I should have known this wasn't going to go well because they weren't going to be in the same color scheme.  The sculpts ended up more complicated than I thought they were so I spent a couple more hours than I intended to bring them all out.  I think the result is good and the two of them were done in about five hours.  Also of note, I bought a magnifying light which is great once I get it adjusted.

2020 finished mini counter:  57/50

No comments: