2020/08/16

A thing a week 2020, week 33

This week like the last few weeks, I have a bigger project bubbling under the surface.  I also did some painting this week but I'll hang onto those to talk about later.  This week we'll start with an observation:  my work areas tend toward chaos over time.

I documented my new paint handles and the holder that went with it back in week 31.  Therein I mentioned that the smaller dowels were harder to manipulate so I wasn't really happy with them.  Since then I've used them quite a lot so last weekend on a trip to the hardware store I bought some slightly larger 1" dowels and made additional ones.  Those, naturally, need their own holder, pictured on the right.  These are much easier for me to manipulate and I threw some cork stoppers on top of two of them to allow handling sub-assemblies and whatnot.  Also, I learned and these new dowels are made of poplar which is significantly less hard than the 0.75" oak ones.

The aforementioned trip to the hardware store was specifically to buy tiles, some of which to serve as a dry palette.  Why do I need a dry palette?  Well, anyone who follows James Wappel knows that he's a big fan of oils.  This seems to be a trend in the mini painting world of late with many notable painters going down that path.  Well, I've gotten on the bandwagon too.  At the time of this writing, I've already painted two minis in oils which I will document next week.  The tiny bottles are 20ml and if I'd known the necks were so narrow, I would have bought bigger ones.  The palette is a neutral-colored 6x12 ceramic tile that was all too expensive at just over a dollar. 


No comments: