2020/08/30

A thing a week 2020, week 35

More minis this week, some of them done a while back to make space for said larger projects that I really need to finish.  Also this week was a return to oils which I'm liking more every time I use them.

This guy is a Reaper Bones Irontongue Priest who came with my Bones 4 order.  I think of him as an angry and heavily armed railway worker.  Marco Frisoni did a fantastic video where he used metallics mostly through an airbrush to get some awesome results.  I'm always looking for reason to use my airbrush more so I gave that a shot with him, his cronies, and another dude that should show up someday soon.  He was part of a speed paint as a batch of other dudes, two of whom were in last week's post.

The other dorfs are the similarly-themed Dark Dwarf SmiterDark Dwarf Pounder, and Dark Dwarf Cleaver.  If you're looking for the Dark Dwarf Striker, you'll have to wait because I missed him when I batch painted these guys.  Overall I think these paint schemes work but they were way more detailed than I thought they were when I pulled them out of my Pile 'o ShamePotential. Like our railway enthusiast, these were mostly painted with an airbrush and overall they were around 1.5 hours each.




These two terrifying creatures are Reaper Bones Giant Maggots also from Bones 4 and were speed painted in oils.  Given that these two didn't have a ton of details, I set out with two goals:  paint them with convincing countershading (even though it doesn't make sense) and really spend time on the blends.  These two were painted over about three and a half hours with some of that time using up some paint I had on other figures.  I could have spent more time on blends but I had other things to do that day.  I think they came out OK.

This last guy is a Reaper Bones Animunar Winterbeard, Wizard, you guessed it, from Bones 4 and speed painted with oils.  All told he was around three hours with some of that time spent on antoher figure that'll show up here at some point.  Also, I'm noticing a distinct speedup as I'm leveling up with this medium.  I love two painting techniques in this hobby that I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere:  wet blending and void blending and I get both by default in oils.  For that matter, I can't turn them off even when they're inconvenient, so there's that.  For this guy I set out to really nail the blends and I think I got it.  He's also a limited palette treatment (mostly phthalo blue) a'la your friendly neighborhood Gandalf so getting a high contrast was important.  While I think I can get a result this good with acrylics, I suspect that I wouldn't have the patience to do so.

2020 finished mini counter:  80/50

No comments: