2020/12/13

A thing a week 2020, week 50

This week...minis.  No one should be surprised at this point, I suppose, but first:  some housekeeping.

I forget when these columns were painted but the date on the source photos is from early May.  I'd also forgotten that I'd taken the pictures so imagine my surprise to find out that I indeed had these to show for this year.  These are assorted Tiny Terrain columns which I'm pretty sure are resin casts of a filament print.  These were washed and drybrushed as much of my stonework and I feel comfortable counting these as three toward my 2020 numbers.

These four color-coded levers are from the Dungeon and Lasers kickstarter from last year. I quite like these and expect to use them in my in-person games quite a lot when that's a thing we can do again. Not much to say here; they're pretty straightforward and spent most of the year sittng on my workbench picking up random bits of paint when it was available. Best guess for total paint time is a couple hours for all four which seems really slow.

These two are 3D printed cat rogues.  Well, at least, I hope that's obvious.  As has been established previously, there are a lot of cat people in my games and this guy's STL was free which is right up my alley (no pun intended).  These guys had several challenges that mostly went OK.  His fur is black which is already rough, but his coat was also supposed to be black with a yellow shirt.  I wanted to differentiate these two as warm and cold greys but I think I over did it.  He reads as a blue cat wearing a purple cloak.  The yellow is played by yellow ochre.  Everything was pre-washed with Pro Acryl transparents and finished off with other Pro Acryl paints.  I've been spending a lot of time painting with terrible paints so this was a special treat.  In all, we're talking around five hours for both of them which I'm not unhappy with.  I'm pretty sure I'll print these guys again so next time around I think I'll try to desaturate the dark colors a little more--they're a bit stark.  

These three are 3D printed night cult soldiers I also got for free.  I think they go to a wargame that I don't play but they were a) fun looking, and, b) free so I picked them up, printed, and painted them.  I didn't need them to be all the same color so they aren't, though I'm a little disappointed in the level of details on them.  That said, I think they turned out pretty well given the time spent and I could see printing a few more to represent cultists or something.  They were a speed paint done in around three hours for the lot of them, blasting past my extended-extended 2020 goal.  One notable experiment with these guys is that they're highlighted with a blend of the base color and a light skintone as recommended by Vince.  This works amazingly well even on the ochre color and I'm really starting to prefer this to highlighting with warm off whites.

Right around the turn of the century, Wizards of the Coast reached back into their backlog for a thing to capitalize on. Chainmail is arguably one of the foundational works for all of tabletop roleplaying. It was a set of miniature wargame rules from a time when miniatures were a) primitive, b) limited, and c) made of lead. This buff lad is the marine from the starter set. He's painted not particularly well but then again, I don't particularly like this figure. Best way to get yourself killed in a real fight? Don't wear sufficient armor. At any rate, this guy's been sitting on my workbench for a while and I need to clean up some space for the beginning of next year's festivities. I experimented quite a lot with his skin tones which worked out OK even if my color choices were poor. All told, he was around 3 hours from start to finish.

2020 finished mini counter:  202/50

No comments: