2020/12/06

A thing a week 2020, week 49

Welp, on the week I was working on this, somewhere in the middle of November, I was trying to get the point that I could clean off one (really, both) of my hobby tables.  As part of this exercise I tried to work through the veritable army sitting primed and shaded on my workbench.  I've also been really busy so I'm bummed about having finished most of my lazy painting figs already.

These six...whatevers these are Reaper claims to be Graveyard Finials: Mystic and came through Reaper Bones 4.  I think they look like lumpy globes but I figured they were magic so I painted them thusly.  This was mostly a speed paint through the months as I had the right color paints around.  I wouldn't hazard a guess to the painting time if I'm honest but for some reason paint beaded up off of them even after priming twice.  I'll probably use them as puzzle pieces if we ever get to play in person again.  Bones 4 counts the six of them as one fig so they'll count one toward my total.

These six are clearly gargoyles and also came from Reaper Bones 4 but I can't find a link to them.  In actuality they were painted forever ago but I need to stop pushing quite so much of a bow wave since we're running out of year.  These are the epitome of lazy painting:  basically primed + wash + drybrush and *blam* stone, or at least something that passes for it.  I toyed with the idea of tinting them but ended up not and they also only count as one toward my goal.  Curse you Bones 4 mini counting incongruities!  Painting time for these is probably counted in minutes.  

These six, similarly, are Graveyard Finials:  Orbs and similarly six linkless flamey pots. These guys also had the seriously distressing feature of paint not sticking to them even after serious priming.  I have no idea why but it was super annoying.

I did the same color coding as the finials above for the same reason:  painting them all the same color seemed lame and also as stated above, I have need of color-coded tchotchkes for various puzzles and markers I use in my games.  

Next up we have scatter from Dungeons and Lasers kickstarter from last year. Stairs and other scatter showed up in week 30 and these were painted, photographed, and forgotten about right around then. The two statues were painted just like the gargoyles and the barrels were drybrushed then glazed.

The sword and the stone (minus the metallics which came after) and the dragon skull were washed and drybrushed like the statues.  The hardest part was the coffin, especially since the lid fits on it and I couldn't super easily drybrush the skellington within.  There's no good accounting for these but four toward the goal seems appropriate.  

These three are Reaper Bones Brigands from...yeah, you guessed it:  Bones 4.  These are also very cartoony figures but I like these a lot more.  I paid quite a lot of attention to detail and really wanted to push the contrast on these guys.  The green, an ancient Reaper pot, was highlit with a Vallejo Air Beige which did some real work lightening the dark green.  I'm not great at layering but this one was awfully fun as the highlights built up.  Next, I took the browns and tans of the rest of the fig to a relatively high contrast. I think this worked OK.  The faces were actually done first as I'd done a "facing" pass on many of the figs on the work bench.  All told these three less-than-savory creatures were done in around six hours total.

2020 finished mini counter:  193/200

No comments: