2021/06/06

A thing a week 2021, week 23 (misc figs)

This week we're back to painting and we have "figures that I had on my desk that didn't fit a theme." Also, because I'm a dummy, I forgot to shoot and post this yesterday. I've cleverly back-dated it to hide my mistake. I've got quite a lot of figs on my painting desk at any one time and while I don't plan it out this way, I usually end up with batches like this. Also, I'm really trying (and failing) to take better pictures. Some day.

These two guys are old figs from Earthdawn, one of my favorite RPGs of the 90s that no one played, and yes I know they're still developing it. I won't go down the halcyon path of talking about what a Horror is or what space these guys fill in their pantheon of badness, but these are a pair of Wormskulls, not to be confused with numskulls. If I recall correctly, I bought these guys circa 2004 or so at cash-only sale at a game store that was shutting down. I would have likely bought more if I'd had more disposable income at that point. These metal figs were made by Heartbreaker Hobbies & Games in the mid 90s and I have a few of their figs. These are not great paint jobs but they are done to the tune of a couple hours and that counts for something.

This guy is the cooper from Bones 4's Townsfolk III set and he is also a pseudo-speed paint. He was mostly painted as glazes over zenithal and his blister-mate, Ben Franklin look-alike was featured way back in week 1 (the milkmaid will be along at some point). Knowing I wanted to play the glaze speed paint game with him, I hit him with a dark wash and a drybrush first and then he sat around for many months until today a couple weeks ago when I finally got around to finishing. I think he turned out OK to the tune of a few hours though I can't say that with certainty.

Hailing from Townsfolk II, this Friar Tuck look-alike had been on my desk primed for quite a while and was also a speed paint. Like the cooper, I'd intended a glazes-over-zenithal job but ended up doing a lot more. I especially like the green cloak action which is an ancient pot of a dark green Reaper Pro paints lightened with a light fleshtone that I had on my wet palette. He was done in like two hours at the end of doing some other work and for that expenditure, I think he looks pretty good.

The tall one is one half of a Reaper Bones Harrowgate Shrines and is the epitome of lazy painting. After priming, we anti-zenithal with Daler Rowney Payne's Grey which is rapidly becoming my favorite anti-zenithal ink. After that it's a zenithal with an off white (Pro Acryl Ivory in this case though I think I like Pale Yellow better for this application). Next we get a homemade grey wash and a dry brush with a light warm grey and we're done. The little token-y things are tokens that came with spider figs that I can't be bothered to look up. They'd been sitting on my desk for quite a while but now with various levels of dry brushing and washing and generally taking up space. Well, this is the time and now they're done!

These last two are 3d prints of a free STL and boy is it hard to find these after the fact. They're scaled roughly to 28mm which, after many difficulties, is starting to be my scale of choice. They were printed at the end of last year (yes, I record this stuff) and like many of the figs sitting on my table, I painted bits and pieces of them as I was winding down with paint of the right color on my palette having finished with something else. It's interesting to note that my normal go-to for metallics, Vallejo Metal Color, didn't perform super well. I think it has to do with the tiny ridges left by the printing. The thinness of these paints which I usually prefer mean that they don't fill in the gaps and thus, the surface isn't as shiny as I'd expect. 

2021 finished mini counter: 135/100

No comments: