2021/06/27

A thing a week 2021, week 26 (cheap & easy painting)

Not all weeks are filled with high effort art. Sometimes, just sometimes, I spam out some of the crap I've had sitting around on my desk as quickly and cheaply as I can. (I like to pretend that this makes all the other painting I do all that much better.) Remember: just because it's cheap, doesn't necessarily mean it's crap.

These are two sets of Reaper Bones Bags and Jars and looking up the link took almost as long as it took to paint these. They count two to a pack for reasons I don't fully comprehend but they're done and that counts for something. These are zenithaled as normal (yes, I verbed that again) with Daler Rowney Payne's Gray from below and Pro Acryl Ivory from the top. It's a simple set of glazes with brown and terra cotta. They're highlighted minimally (which shows) but they were done to the tune of like fifteen minutes. I might feel guilty about padding my mini count if I weren't already over my goal. 

Next to them is an orby platformy thing, otherwise known as Tiny Terrain Seer's Stone. It's drybrushed and washed and re-drybrushed and re-washed ad nauseum. It's been on my painting desk for a while and I don't like that I can see the striations from the original print (it's a resin cast). I went back and forth with how I wanted it to look but I settled on a not-subtle-enough OSL over dark grey stone. All I know is it's the best color: painted.

Next up we have a Legend of Drizzt board game Handmaiden of Lolth. If I'm honest, I mistook it as a Roper and was all ready to lazy-paint it in a stone scheme. Well, joke's on me! Instead, the candle-like dirty yellow is mostly played by a mix of Pro Acryl transparent yellow and brown over the same zenithal above. Highlights were played by that with some random yellow and some random white. Because I (still) didn't want to spend a lot of effort on this fig, I only did highlighting around the eyes, top of the "head", and top of the tentacles. It's really obvious when you compare the front to the back. The eye is glossed with a Reikland Fleshshade Gloss which I use infrequently enough to forget that it'll pull up white paints. This was to avoid painting blood vessels but still keeping that bloodshot quality because again--lazy. Done in about a half hour, I'm not unhappy with this result.

This is a Sealed Sarcophagus that arrived with my Bones 4 pledge. It's the usual zenithal and anti-zenithal followed up with a wash and drybrushing. It's hollow which means I couldn't magnetize it but I figure it'll kick around with my other similarly sized terrain. I might hit it with  dullcoat if the paint starts to chip.

This scary thing is the other half of Harrowgate Shrines from week 23 and you can probably guess what's going on here. The only difference is the flesh to magenta to purpley color drybrush over the top. Why so many colors? I couldn't decide what I wanted and was having fun dry brushing. So there ya go. 

A thing a week 2021 halfway milestone:

  • 148/100 finished minis
  • 2/5 pushing high quality
  • 2/5 serious attempts at OSL
  • 4/5 "buildings"

No comments: