2021/12/12

A thing a week 2021 (week 50)

We're into the home stretch for 2021 and as mentioned last week, this week we have 10x Viking Hirdmen out of a giant box of 44 of them. These are good figs with some pretty nice sculpts and because they're supposed to be in a unit of 34 of their closest friends, they aren't overly detailed. That means that they're easier to paint so I like to theorize that this implies better quality paint jobs, though, I'm not certain this actually plays out. What I do know is that at this point, I don't expect to be buying any more big box armies.

Like the Celts from last week, they were kind of fiddly to assemble. Also like last week, I didn't think nearly enough about their poses which turned out well but were really hard to paint. I got weapons in front of faces and shields in front of eyes which is generally how you'd do that but made, say, eyeballs a real pain. I especially like the green dood in the first picture with a javelins in his shield hand and a spear in his main hand. He's also shouting. That's the kind of quality you don't get everywhere! I'm sure he'll be killed to death onscreen in my game some day.

I'd intended to glue swords on all the spear doods but I think I only got one on. I also intended to do some freehand on their shields but promptly decided not to which is why they have such plain shields. They did come with decals but, honestly, I can't be bothered to put decals on figs. Also, my basecoat was lumpy. In a batch, I'm not super disappointed but someday I really need to start practicing freehand. Not like a 2022 challenge is right around the corner or anything. Anyway, these ten are done and I think they came out OK.

2021 finished mini counter: 352/100

No comments: