2023/06/04

A thing a week 2023, week 23

This week we have another high-effort offering, specifically The Elf Bandit from Vae Victis Miniatures and as you may have surmised, she's a 3d print. I didn't expect to paint her to this level originally though I do like the sculpt (I mean, I bought it; that wasn't an accident). 

Starting out I had two goals: first, paint the face expressively since part of it is hidden. Second, I wanted to push the quality on the leather. The face went first and I pushed contrast more than usual and even though I don't think her eyes turned out all that well, I'm pretty happy with the result. The leather was mostly an accident because I started out with a really lousy wash from previous work and ended up hilighting up and glazing down probably a half dozen times. After the third part of the cycle, I just kept going. It doesn't 100% work but I can see how it might and I'll give it a shot again sometime soon. Also, once I settled on pushing to a high quality, I spent extra time on her hair and looking at these shots, it looks like I didn't do the highlighting as well as I'd thought. Happy but never satisfied.

2023 finished mini counter: 113/102, 7/10 high quality

No comments: