2023/05/28

A thing a week 2023, week 22

This week, as threatened, we're back to minis and back to Ork-land because Orks are great. And yes, it's properly spelled with a k, even though none of the sculptors here spelled it correctly. I guess we just can't have nice things.

First up we have Gon'Tarr Orc Shaman who I got from Bones 5. If I'm honest, I don't super like this sculpt and I especially don't like that he skips leg day. I note that his muscleature wasn't super well painted mostly because he's small and also because I'm lazy. His cloak was mostly contrast paint and drybrushing and while I'm lamenting my laziness, I've definitely painted better bones/horns than I did on his staff. 

Next up we have Gara, the Half Orc from Bite the Bullet. Anyone even remotely aware of my work with even a couple brain cells to rub together should realize that I like painting gals way more than dudes so it should surprise no one that I put a bunch of extra time into this fig. The print was pretty lousy and as per usual I didn't do enough prep in removing the support scars. As a result I didn't push to higher levels of quality this go-around but at a total cost of around five hours, I think I got to a good place. I did make an effort to line things, though, which isn't a thing that I do super often. So there's that.

Last up we have Guldra - Orc Warlock from Twin Goddess Miniatures. I like this sculpt a lot though I do wish she was better clothed and I really wish her staff was less spindly. It's also notable that she really doesn't want to stand on her own without the funky sculpted base which I am not a fan of since I like making bases. Taking a look at the final shot on the right here, I'm reminded that the end of it snapped off one more time than I glued it back on. I also didn't realize that the purple base wash I stuck on was quite so shiny. The crystal bits are mostly phoned in but read OK on the tabletop. I'm not sold on these color choices, TBH, though they're about as faithful a triadic as I ever paint. Probably I'll print and paint her again, though likely at 25% larger.

2023 finished mini counter: 112/104

No comments: