2023/05/14

A thing a week 2023, week 20

I'd like to claim that my four weeks of non-bangers were covering for this week's offering but that wouldn't be true (I was just being lazy). This week we have an actually reasonable paintjob--I might say quite reasonable. This is an Orc Thief 3d print by Vae Victis, a group of sculptors I really like. 

This is a good sculpt. It's got enough detail to be interesting but not too much to be tiresome--a difficult balance. It's also bereft of the typical-of-3d-sculpting-and-not-by-painters negative space that really bother me. If I have a gripe, it's that her main hand is at a weird angle that doesn't look entirely reasonable but that's really my fault for gluing her hand on weird.  

I didn't start this paint job with any lofty goals though I do think I pushed far enough to count as a high quality one for the  year. A wash of whatever was leftover from other paint jobs plus some sloppily applied contrast paints produced a less-than-stellar base. I spent a bunch of time avoiding other work doing the leather on her boots, a thing that I really want to get better at. The results were good enough that I kept pushing. After about eight hours of work with good paints and a dying Winsor & Newton, this is where I ended. Not glamorous, but I'll take it.

2023 finished mini counter: 108/104, 6/10 high quality

No comments: