2023/12/24

A thing a week 2023, week 52

If you were looking for the "end of the year batches to hit an arbitrary goal", then you're in the right place. These are mostly from Blacklist Fantasy Series 1 which is now down to the last thirty or so characters and even though this week's offering won't get us over the finish line, there's a bonus posting next week that will seal the deal.

First up we have mummies which aren't a creature that I use like ever. They're a reasonable sculpt with some really difficult to deal with mold lines and I took the opportunity to do a super low rent paint scheme. Most of the work is the airbrush-provided zenithal which I followed with a couple washes to give them a nice aged tone. A very small drybrush brought out some of the details. I may have spent more effort throwing grit on the bases and painting them than on the figs. No idea what I'll ever do with these guys but they're painted.

Next up we have unholy knights. These might see some game time but again, I don't use a lot of undead in my campaigns. They are similarly low rent paint schemes mostly involving contrast paint and a drybrush for their cloaks, a simple metallic + wash for their armor and maybe three layers and a wash for their bones. I don't like spending a lot of time on figs that a) don't excite me, and/or b) aren't likely to see a lot of game time but they're fantastic for feeling like I'm making good progress on my pile of shamepotential.

These are probably the only interesting batch here. Another creature I don't use like ever are harpies but golems I use frequently including a bunch of flying golems like gargoyles. Well, painting these in a faux bronze seemed like a pretty reasonable thing to do. I went with a heavily patinaed + highly polished wear areas even though this makes zero sense within a dungeon. The patina was a turquoise zenithal provided by the airbush. The metallics were pretty obviously a drybrush, this time with a decades old pot of Reaper Brass which I only really keep around for this kind of operation. Overall I think these are serviceable.

These are pretty clearly zombies and I have almost no use for them. Thusly, I only barely painted them. The fleshtone is a two shade highlight, the pants are the same, the guts and mouths are a basetone and a wash, and the shirts aren't painted over the zenithal at all. After that: magic. Again I note that every time I use an oil wash, they elevate a paint job. I spent more time removing excess oil wash than I did applying the rest of the paints and they were done in maybe five hours total sans all the waiting you have to do between applying and removing an oil wash. Dunno that I'll ever use them but they're painted.

If there's an interesting paint job in this week's offering, and I'm not saying there is, it's this guy. This is a naga, this version of the creature IIRC, a dumb D&D monster that I have no real interest in using. I went with my gut on this one with a colored zenithal, a drybrush, wash, and final drybrush only stopping to barely pick out some of the dumb details on its dumb face and dumb spikes. This thing is trying so hard to look scary that it just looks dumb and I don't know that I'll ever put it on the table with a straight face.

Stay tuned next week when we finish off 2023 with a flurry of posts.

2023 finished mini counter: 359/104

No comments: