This week we get a short interlude and a preview before barreling into our next big push. These two are Female Wizard from Galaad, one of my favorite sculptors. They were printed way back in the summer of 2023 before I had the Saturn 2 settings dialed in. I like this sculpt more in theory than I do in practice and both of these printed badly, particularly their legs which are disjoint. I did what I could but only kind of made it better. I am not a fan of big, flowy loaks and theirs are both big and flowy. This sculpt has some really bad negative space that made them much harder to paint than might have been expected and they have been kicking around on my painting table for years as a result. I had delusions of doing them to a high quality and while their faces are pretty nice, I couldn't get it over the finish line so they're just normal "painted" which is just fine.
This is a high quality work, particularly Ellie the Water Genasi Mage by Twin Goddess miniatures, one of my other favorite sculptors. She also has printing defects, particularly around her hair, and printed in the same batch as our wizards. I was pretty sure she was going to be a high quality work from the get go because I like the sculpt so much. Fast forward many years of fiddling around with basic things until I finally got her over the finish line. These shots show my one big gripe with this paint job: that the lows and highs are underwhelming which is worse in these shots than in person. Her hair could use higher highlights, probably. Also featured in these shots: a lot of dust. Her near twin will hopefully also be a high quality effort and will hopefully be featured here soon (TM).
These two feathery guys are Raptorkin from Bones 6, specifically the Ranger and Wizard and they're our in-place preview of the next big push. I don't have raptorkin in my fantasy world (our Athari are more humans with wings than humanoid birds). They're painted pretty plainly with a semi-glossy airbrush basecoat and clothes/details picked out after a drybrush. For the effort, they look pretty OK. Notably, these are the first two painted at least partially with my newly delivered Reaper paints kickstarter. Hot take: they're nice.
This week leaves one fig left in the 2023 prints/purchases which means we can't close it out just yet. Sometime soon, though, probably.
2026 finished mini counter: 210, 7/12 high quality

No comments:
Post a Comment