2021/01/24

A thing a week 2021, week 4

No theme this week; the landsknechts took a lot out of me.  Thus, I'm taking the opportunity to catch up on some random stuff on my table.

These five are two Shades of the Drowned Nymph and three Ghosts of the Drowned Nymph from Bones 4.  Those following those links will note that a) the ones on sale seem to be made of a transparent blue plastic, and b) they're shot such that you can tell what's going on.  Mine are in translucent green plastic and looked like random lumps.  Luckily, we can fix that with paint!  I started with Pro Acryl transparent green thinned down with water.  That didn't stick despite a good scrubbing with dish cleaner and a toothbrush.  Then I tried adjuncts of Liquitex Matte Medium, Vallejo Glaze Medium, and Vallejo Thinner and eventually got something that stuck but was too thick.  More medium made this better but the gal was already painted so she's darker than the rest.  A drybrush with the same green wash plus white ink later got us here.  I think they work OK for about thirty minutes of work.

Next up we have Ankoa, Barbarian Hero also from Bones 4.  He's been partially painted up on my desk for a while but I was between steps on next week's project and wanted to do something other than that.  I've been really trying to push contrast in skin tones and this guy has a lot of good volumes to practice on so I focused mainly on that.  I think they work OK but the highs probably aren't high enough and the lows probably aren't low enough.  Everything else on him was a speed paint which shows.  I wasn't sure what to do with all the fur and leather though I did do quite a lot of shading on it.  I tried to vary the myriad browns between saturation and hues but I don't think any of that really comes through.  The fur got knocked down with a wash and really could have used another highlighting step to bring it all back up again.  Other than being done which is a win in my book, it was fun to revisit James Wappel's shaded basecoat again.  

2021 finished mini counter:  29/100

No comments: