2021/01/17

Landsknechts a'Plenty part 2 (2021 week 3)

Last week's offering was a half dozen Warlord Landsknecht missile troops.  This week we have the other six plus four extras!  As discussed last week, these guys were a mess but having mostly completed them before the week started helped get them to a better place this week.  

These six are much like the first six.  Since I had the time I tried to punch up the contrast a half step.  I also cleaned up a lot of the missing details from last week which helped some.  Looking through the pictures, the inks went a bit glossy on me which isn't super surprising.  These guys were never going to be great, I plain don't like them enough to really spend the time, but I'd like to think they look slightly better than last week.  Still not super happy with them, but they're the best color:  painted.

Now the fun stuff.  I think I bought these old Warhammer Fantasy figs at a hobby store's going out of business in like 2007 or something, and I regret not buying more then.  I was poor.  What do you want?  I also bought some Earthdawn miniatures at the same time which will show up in a few weeks during Elf Fest 2021(TM).  They're metal and heavy and have some interesting mold issues but they're full of character and unlike the missile troops, I wanted them to look fun.  

First up we have Empire Greatsword 3 and Empire Sword 1 which probably means more to you than it does to me if you played Warhammer Fantasy.  The greatsword guy got a lot of screen time as one of the player characters in a previous campaign.  The second guy's shield was lost and replaced with an extra of a similar style that I had laying around and re-painted and I can tell from the photos that I re-glued it on crooked.  I took extra time to shade the metal bits with Badger Ghost Tint Midnight Blue which is starting to be my go-to for this kind of thing. In this case I both used it raw and mixed it into a glaze with the Vallejo Metal Colors I was highlighting with.  While not spectacular, I think they work.

Next we have Empire Archers 6 and 7 and they followed the same general pattern as their blister-mates but with a few more details.  These guys also used Daler Rowney inks, the blues in Blue and Indigo and the red in Pro Acryl Burnt Red base, Red and Transparent Red highlights brought up with yellow and a light skin tone.  They have the typical blue/black ink undershade and ivory zeninthal even though the vast majority of it was painted over.  Their skin tones needed a little more contrast which is mostly around the lowtones and the beige on the skirt of the one really doesn't sell at all.  Overall I got them where I wanted to but I might do more if I ever encountered them again.  

This concludes Landsknecht a'Plenty 2021 a full week early (thought I'd do the last four next week).  Next week we may or may not have the start of a new theme so stay tuned!

2021 finished mini counter:  23/100

No comments: