2021/02/21

A Lounge of Lizards, part 2 (2021 week 8)

Following up last week's lizards we have these scary chaps many of which have seen play.  This week, too, we got some nice speed ups through zenithal + counter shade + base coating with the airbrush.  I might be closer to getting a spendy one than I thought!

These orangey chaps are Reaper Bones Lizardman Warrior, his name-twin Lizardman Warrior, and similarly-named Lizardman Spearman.  Orange isn't a color that I paint in very much and this was a good excuse to see how terrible it could be practice with it.  Red is also a color I've struggled with.  While painting these guys, something clicked.  Brent of Goobertown who I will one day print and paint, said something very similar when painting some Seraphon lizardoods which I find more than a little interesting.  Also, I note that during this work I a) mostly used a resuscitated red sable brush I like a lot, and b) mostly used Pro Acryl paints which I also like a lot and these two things made this process waaaaaay more enjoyable.  I'd forgotten how nice it is to use brushes without a hook and paints that don't suck.  The three of them were done in like 10 hours and while I spent a similar amount of time on them overall, I think the shield and club guy turned out the best and I'm comfortable counting him as my first high quality paint this year.  

These four are two packs of Reaper Bones Spikeshell Warriors.  They saw quite a lot of screen time a few campaigns ago as some particularly vile bads.  I went for a paint scheme like the alligator snappers that these figs seem to be based upon.  That meant dark and desaturated greens moving up to beige and generally making them look like the detritus found on the bottom of ponds.  That seemed like it would work but the beige ended up being a little too desaturated.  A bit of yellow fixed this and I'm not entirely certain why.  At any rate, the first guy took upwards of three hours experimenting with colors and whatnot with the other three completing in the next four.  I guess that's why test figs are so important.  In a better world I would have taken a little more care dealing with their awful mold lines and boy howdy am I looking forward to finishing all of my old Bones figs in like....2030.

  • 2021 high quality counter:  1/5
  • 2021 finished mini counter:  71/100


No comments: