2021/03/14

A thing a week 2021, week 11 (filler!)

This year so far has been a big year for mini painting, following from a strong 2020. Because things are going so well, I'm pushing this week's normally scheduled programming to bring you this news flash:  it's minis. That's right.  Minis. This mini-mini theme is brought to you by "random stuff I have prepped on my painting table."  

This is a Bones 4 Lowland Owlbear which is distinct from its often mistaken cousin, the Highland Owlbear which is renown for its love of dry whiskeys. I prepped this guy sometime last summer because he looked cool and then I didn't get to painting him...until now. Well, honestly, it was a week and a half ago because these posts roll out later than the actual event. This was my favorite kind of painting:  slap some paint around and focus on a couple details. That's more James Wappel shaded basecoat action over top of a zenithal-anti-zenithal-sandwich-plus-some-actual-airbrush-basecoating. I painted him as a cross between a grizzly and a great horned owl and any particular resemblance to either creature is a coincidence since I didn't look up reference for either. Other than the funky smell from the chocolate brown craft paint wash I'm trying to use up, I think it's a good result for the not-even-an-hour that I spent on him. Probably the spikes on his back are too stark but meh.

These four penguins are from, you guessed it, Bones 4 and available for purchase as Penguin Attack Pack.  These are also not exceptionally difficult painting though the dire penguin (the one with spikey bits) did have a few more details. I'd hoped to paint them mostly with the airbrush but forgot that they're counter-shaded and had to work a little bit harder. They landed in a couple hours for all four and even though I could have pushed the contrast more, I'm not unhappy with them. Not sure why my camera felt the need to blurrify these shots. 

This is a pig, also from Bones 4. The cart, if you're wondering, was last seen in week 45 of 2020. This guy has sat on my workbench for many months partially painted. I wanted to practice my brush blends but that's way too much work. Instead, he's about 5 minutes of easy airbrushing and maybe 5 minutes of additional detail work for his trotters and eyes and such. I'm not going to pretend this is high art or anything, but it's painted and that's something.

2021 finished mini counter:  92/100

No comments: