2020/11/08

A thing a week 2020, week 45

More minis this week and probably for the majority of the remainder of the year.  Gotta get through that pile, of shamepotential, yo.  This week we've got speed paints and almost in a theme:  "stuff that's easy to paint."  So there's that.

Here are three Nolzur's Marvelous Unpainted Miniatures:  W1 Spiders and they are terrible.  I've talkedwritten quite a lot about my growing disapproval of the Nolzur's line.  This is particularly due to the difficulty in painting and the lousy mold lines.  For these figs there's also their spindly-ness and resulting difficulty in gluing them to their bases.  I have no idea how they expected these guys to fit on the supplied 1" bases.  I based them on 35mm bases and they barely fit.  The colored banding was painted first with a candy coat of Badger Minitaire Ghost Tint Brown which was followed with a Vallejo Dark Grey Wash, and no I don't get kickbacks for these.  I opened the blister containing these creepies years ago and they were such a pain I stuck them back in and in a pile but they're as done as they're likely to get now.

These four are a Hail Caesar Caesar's Legions Command Sprue since renamed.  I'm pretty sure these guys were built improperly.  I mean, one guy has two swords for crying out loud.  Beyond that, they're painted very simply as glazes over a zenithal+anti-zenithal.  The shields were painted separately and glued after the fact and I wish I'd paid more attention on how they attached so I would have painted the backs of them better.  The whole batch (these four plus the next two) were painted over two-ish days to the tune of about six hours total including assembly.

These two are the crew of Imperial Romans:  Plastic Scorpion which I bought mostly for the scorpion.  I had a need for ballista, these guys were on sale, and I was already buying stuff.  Subsequently I bought 4x Reaper Ballista which fit the bill a little better featured way back in Week 36.  The scorpion itself has been based but has yet to be painted so expect that at some point in the unforseeable future.  These guys were part of the previous batch's six-ish hours and they'll be based with their equipment.  Watch this space!

This is a cart from Reaper Bones 4 kickstarter and I can't find a real link on their site.  It's been partly done on my workbench for many weeks and at one point I had the right colors out so I finished it.  I didn't put a ton of effort into it which probably shows.  Once I'd finished I started thinking through Bones 4 and I don't recall having any spare horses or other beasts of burden in there.  Reviewing the core set, this cart is pulled by a pig!  The pig has been located and will show up here at some point.  More lazy painting.  Hooray!

2020 finished mini counter:  157



No comments: