2020/11/22

A thing a week 2020, week 47

Last week I pushed the quality on a fig because I felt like I should.  This week we're back to speed paints because I can.  Also, because I'm running out of desk space.  Not sure when this happened, but I've started liking prep work.  Building, printing, priming, shading and all that jazz has somewhere become really interesting.  Maybe it's because I can bust through a lot of figs in not a lot of time.  Maybe it's because the stuff near the top of my work queue is stuff I'm not super interested in painting.  Dunno.

These are nine more 3D printed skeletons.  You may be surprised to learn that the seven skellingtons back in week 44 were only the second batch I've painted (the first were featured and photographed terribly last August from Bones 4 kickstarter).  With these nine I now have twenty (!) badly painted skeletons that I can use in my supposedly-in-person Saturday game whenever we can play in person again.

You may note that some of these guys have different shields.  The first batch of three failed on their shields because I didn't support them properly.  Did I mention that 3D printing is its own hobby?  Their shields smeared out and in trying to break them off, I pulled their freakin' arms off like a gundark.  Luckily, my bits box is fairly full so they got Bondi shields.  I'm getting better at the printing thing but it's a pretty serious effort still.

Primed and basecoated/highlit with the airbrush were the first two steps as per usual.  I should have done more with the highlighting but I was lazy.  I'd planned on slapping a couple washes and some metallics and then calling them done but I went a little crazy.  I've never weathered anything...until now!  I don't think the rust sells particularly well up close but they work OK on the tabletop and more importantly, I learned a ton doing it.

The only other note is the bases which were printed with the minis.  I've started painting these kinds of things with palette sludge.  What's palette sludge?  It's the half-dried or super-watery things left on the palette from a week of painting.  I mix these into pseudo-desaturated shades and wet blend them into something vaguely stone toned.  I usually want two hues blending between and some highlight to catch edges but I don't think this particular set worked super well--I rather killed it with the wash.  Live and learn, I suppose.

Overall these guys were something like three-ish hours for the nine of them which is about as fast as I can go at the moment without, I dunno, super-lazy painting armor or stone or something.  Tune in next week when I lazy-paint some armored figs!  Also, it's looking a lot like I'll break 200 figs this year, 4x what I expected to hit, and probably not a thing I'm going to be able to do very often, so I'ma revel in it a bit this year.

Finished mini counter:  171/50

No comments: