2021/04/04

A thing a week 2021, week 14 (corner organizer!)


This week we have something completely different and I didn't enough about what I was doing to take proper WIP pictures. While I'd like to count this as a building, that'd be a stretch even for me so instead it'll just be a weekly entry without progress toward other goals. So WTF is it?

Several weeks ago by the time of this posting I saw a thing online, a thing that I'd like, that would bring my messy painting table into something resembling sanity. This would be that thing. It's a corner piece for a modular hobbying organizer and one that I might have bought and imported from Poland if they hadn't run out. Instead, I built my own.

Construction is about as dead simple as you can imagine. It's about $1.50 of black Readi Board from a nearby dollar store which is my go-to for this kind of light construction. It doesn't need to hold a lot of weight and doesn't have many moving parts but it does need to sit between my home-made paint rack featuring prominently in week 31 of last year and the much nicer wooden one that someone gave me a couple jobs ago that takes up more space but holds fewer bottles. That space and the surrounding area have accumulated a pile of unsightly junk most of which doesn't get used super often but that I still want handy and there isn't generally that much of it.

The hardest part of the operation was cutting out the L-shaped pieces one of which is the bottom and one of which is the base of the top. The cutouts were used as the two risers and everything was more or less glued together. I got fancy this time around and made the little drawer-y things which have already proven their value. And by moving some of the paint from the nicer holder on the right, I could consolidate some stuff while opening up space to hold extra paint holders made up of 1" dowels. 

I like building tools--I'm pretty sure I've said that here before, and this is no exception. I like even more organizing things and this piece hits both. Besides which, I've opened up space for more paints...and I love buying paints!

No comments: