2021/08/15

A thing a week 2021, week 33

This week we continue our not-theme of "stuff on my painting desk." I've got some longer projects bubbling in the background that get effort over time but we'll get to those in due time. For now, this is what we've got.

This is Joanna the Cleric by Twin Goddess Miniatures. This is a multi-sculpt figure and of which these are my two favorite, though honestly, I could have done without the high heels. These were a one day paints. A single day for me is between 3 and 5 hours, so still pretty substantial, and since I've got a pile of stuff I want to get through, this is a thing I want to do more of. Since so much of their getup was metal, I did some shadows with Badger Ghost Tints and highlights with Golden High Flow Acrylics as per usual. This is a fairly cheap and easy way to punch up an otherwise fairly dull model. Despite the time spent on them, their faces aren't spectacular but overall, I'm not unhappy with this result weighing in at about six hours all told for the both of them.

I shouldn't like Brianna of the Blade (and yes, I did get the metal version). She's got dumb fantasy armor which I'm just about allergic to. She was sculpted in 1998 by Sandra Garrity, a sculptor whose work I like quite a lot, and I could not resist the 90s era hair. This is a good sculpt, fashion choices notwithstanding, let down by a lousy mold. I did a lot of sculpting with paint and I notice now that I didn't properly give her hair the Pantene Shine(TM) and that's a bummer. She was done over many months done in what I'd guess is three hours and I'm not unhappy with this result. Minus the hair.

Zadim, Iconic Slayer came with Bones 4. I understand he's from Pathfinder, a game I don't play and if I had looked up the concept art, I might have painted him differently. Like many of the others of this week's offering, he's been sitting on my painting table for a while, since the end of last year if I recall correctly, and I didn't particularly like all of his fancy...fancyness. He was done in around three hours which is where a lot of my not-tryhard jobs are landing these days. 


This is the Paladin out of the Chainmail Starter Set. She's metal (and heavy) and the mold defects were pretty awful. Yes, I said defects instead of lines because these were way worse than lines would have been and, naturally, there's one going right over the left side of her face. Her armor is the typical fantasy trope crap but she was a fun paint nonetheless. I did minimal shading/highlighting on the armor--just the stuff that would pop out, but I think it all works. She sat partially painted for months on my table before finishing for this week's offering so I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how long it took.

These are 3d prints of Amazon Warriors by Artisan's Guild whose work I quite like. The STL is available for free. I printed these too small at roughly 25mm scale at a time when I thought I wanted that. Their eyes in particular were exceptionally difficult because of this. On the other hand, I got to do a lot of work with fleshtones which I'm actively trying to improve. These mostly show that with some improvement but ultimately I think I need a lot more work. The two of these gals were done in around eight hours total and I'm not unhappy with them.

The last two are figs that I don't like. The sculpts are soft and the molds, like most of the official Pathfinder and D&D lines, are crap. These were purchased for a PC in my last intended-to-be-in-person game from last year so they hadn't gotten painted. Well, they're on my bench partially painted and I finished them off in a few hours in early August. The fleshtones probably needed to go to a higher highlight. These aren't good paint jobs but they a) don't particularly have to be, and the figs themselves won't hold a good paint job but they're done and I'm happy with that.

2021 finished mini counter: 186/100

No comments: