2022/11/20

Sci-fi Showdown, week 6 (2022 week 47)

I thought this would be the last week for this impromptu theme but it looks like we've got another next week. Also, by this time the mini-campaign has already completed (yesterday in fact) and I sure hope it went well! Spoiler: it did.

First up we have Jake Rockatacky from Titan Forge. I didn't do a great job de-supporting him so there's all kinds of pockmarks on his back. I also note that this shot doesn't show some of the subtleties I worked into his flesh tones. Probably I need to do more work in my lighting set up. Someday I'll take better pictures but apparently not today. Him and Anna in the next shot are from a series "Island of Dr Maneater" or something. Probably that's why they have clawmarks or whatnot. I haven't bothered to read the lore.

Next up we have Camile Lipson and Anna Jones from Titan Forge. I drilled through poor Anna's foot when pinning her and I'm not 100% sure my repair job super sells though I suspect not many people would notice. Sci-fi characters give me an opportunity to paint weird hair color so Camile got purple. These figs have such great sculpts that painting their hair wasn't as much of a struggle as it usually is so I spent extra time on these. Their pants were particularly easy (Gryph-charger Grey) with simple highlights and I really like the results. Both of these were one day paints. 



Last up we have two gals. I call the gal on the left "Punk Rock Girl" who has the unfortunate name July_J and Jane Ferro on the right from, you guessed it, Titan Forge. Both figs were one day paints about three hours apiece and while I like both figs quite a lot, I note a pretty big difference in quality. Punk Rock Girl has an open pose and a well sculpted face. Jane Ferro due to her giant gun has a very closed pose and her face hidden in her shoulder. As you might expect, Jane was much harder to paint. I'm not 100% sold on the candy coat on her armor (played by Badger Ghost Tint Plasma Fluid--one of my favorites) but I didn't want to leave it as plain metallic. Punk Rock Girl's hair got extra love and I was particularly happy with the orange and blue contrast scheme. Had I spent another day on getting more of the details fine tuned, I might have counted her as a high quality job. I'm pretty sure the sculpt will support a better paint job so don't be surprised if she shows up again sometime in the future.

2020 finished mini counter: 211/100



No comments: