2022/12/18

A thing a week 2022, week 51

This is a special one for reasons that we'll get into at the end. All of these figs are from Reaper Bones and suffer from the typical Reaper Bones issues: soft details, messy mold lines, and bent weapons. These aren't the last of my normal Reaper Bones figs (there are maybe a couple dozen left that are unpainted) but probably I won't be buying more. Note: the Bones 4, 5, 6, Black, and Bones USA lines are all much better with noticeable quality improvements across those lines. 

First up we have Kristianna and Cassiata. Neither of these particular figures are helped by their Bones-ness but I did what I could with the details I could make out. These two are pseudo-speed paints to the tune of about five hours for both and looking at these shots, their metallics really could use more work. I keep using Ghost Tints over Vallejo Metal Colors and I either need to spend more time on doing so or do something else. The candy coats look nice when they're consistent but it's super easy to not let them dry completely and to tear up the previous layer. Mixing isn't anywhere near as saturated when applied and I'm not sure I have the patience to do Golden High Flow mixes with the Metal Colors (mine are unintentionally glossy). They still look good on the table and there might be a future where I get metals or Bones Black versions of these gals to paint at a later date. 

Next up are Hyrekia, Dragonthrall Mage and Andriessa, Female Wizard. Andriessa got a ton of screen time in a previous campaign but I didn't paint her based on the character description. There's some patchiness on her cloak I'm not enamored with though the blending on her dress was adequate. Probably more work was warranted on her hair but that's true on most of my figs. Hyrekia was kind of a mess to paint. The gemstones went OK but her shirt is quite notably just highlights plus the zenithal. I spent a lot of time on Andriessa doing blends that didn't really work out. Overall, they're fine.

These two are Alastriel and Sarah the Seeress. I like both of these two figs, too, and might also buy better molds in better material at a later date. I did quite a lot of sculpting with paint on both figs. Alastriel, for instance, did not come with razor sharp abs but she does look good with them. I put extra work into the hair for both figs rather than the more typical phoning it in I usually do. I'm going to have to get over that at some point, but not today!  Probably Alastriel's...ankle dress...thing...could have been in a better color. Some details on Sarah's robe could have been sharper, too. Lots of time spent blending on both figs to the tune of about eight hours for both. I think I have a dupe of Sarah so probably we'll see her here again sometime in the future.

Last up we have Lysette, Female Elf and I love this fig. The sculpt does a lot of the work and while I like the color scheme I chose, I don't think it super works. The orange of her hair is correct but unbalanced; there needs to be some other kind of orange somewhere in there. The rest of the details could certainly be sharper but I went out of my way to clean a lot of the normal junk up. She looks good at tabletop distance and OK in hand. Overall, I'm happy to count Lysette as a high quality paint job done in around six hours and will almost certainly try to find another in a different material.

And there we are, seven lovelies now painted. I'm pretty happy with these but I'm also happy that these complete the set of figures I bought in 2016. I made two orders that year, one in late May and one in late July to be used in my then-new RPGs. I remember thinking "I'm never going to paint all of those," and in fact, it'd be almost two years until I completed painting any of those, though at the time I'd forgotten all the mechs I painted with enamel last millennium. Turns out, I was wrong! What's the next category to fall? Stay tuned!

2022 finished mini counter: 240/100, 11/10 high quality

No comments: