2022/12/04

A thing a week 2022, week 49

Sci-fi was fun but let's head back to fantasyland, shall we? We'll kick it off with this random assortment of props. The stockade, chest, and pair of lantern poles are from one of the Dungeons and Lasers but I am far too lazy to look up which one. The suit of armor and target are from Bones 4 kickstarter. I'd intended to differentiate the two lantern poles as day and night but then got lazy around the OSL. The chest metallics are painted with an ancient and terrible pot of Reaper metallic brass. The tuft on the target does a lot of work to call attention away from a lousy paint job. 

Next up we have a pair of 3d printed aurumvorax..er..aurumvoraces? These are a weird D&D monster whose name translates roughly as "gold glutton" and the model is by Yasashii Kyojin Studio. I didn't follow the D&D directions beyond the golden pelt which makes the figures look glossier than they actually are. These were a speed paint mostly played by airbrushing basecoats, contrast paint on the mane, and a rough drybrushing with that same ancient and lousy metallic brass both done within an hour or so. I might print these again and do some fur patterns as practice in the future.

Next we have a Reaper Bones Burrowing Horror. I bought this guy as a companion for the various bulettes and other elementals I have in my collection for a previous campaign. Obviously, he didn't make it for that and sat primed on my painting desk for what seems like a stupidly long time taking up more space than I liked. Well, he's painted now and I hit the high points I was looking for. Namely, I wanted fairly subtle tints of grey which I think work pretty well. A lot of the work on his armor is drybrushing but what really sold it was the very laborious picking out of scales, teeth, and claws. Overall, I think it's a good result for a couple hours of work.

This last guy is a Reaper Bones Cretus, Minotaur (notably not metal) and was not a speed paint though it probably doesn't seem that way. I've been painting this guy on and off for a year or so. The important part was selling his crazy musculature and his many metallics. I got half of that ultimately and painted and re-painted his fleshtones probably three times till I got here played by some lousy basecoating followed by airbrush highlights to restore the lighting, and hitting him with an oil wash with last week's Ghar dudes since I had one handy and didn't want to mess with this guy anymore. The metallics are crap but I wanted him done and he is now. 

2022 finished mini counter: 228/100

No comments: