2022/12/25

A thing a week 2022, week 52

We're going to round out 2022 with a bang and on Christmas Day no less. There's a lot of stuff to go through as we clear out the bow wave I've been pushing since the fall as per usual.

These five dudes are Bones 5 Hobgoblins. They were a speed paint done over a few days from the typical scheme. Prime->Zenithal->basecoats->highlights with the notable inclusion of an oil wash. Every time I use an oil wash I'm surprised at a) how messy they are, and b) how goshdarned good figs look after it. I may do a lot more of these in the not-so-distant future. Ultimately, these guys probably warranted a better paint job than I did since they're such good sculpts. They weighed in at around an hour and change per fig. While I'm not entirely satisfied with them, I'm fairly happy with the result.

I think this is Fighter Guild Male E from Artisan's Guild and found somewhere in this collection. As this guy is mostly armor and because I've wanted to use my airbrush more, he's unsurprisingly mostly airbrushed. The zenithal is basically a metallic and I only vaguely recall not using my favorite Vallejo Metal Colors for what I assume is a good reason. His cloak is a lot less smooth than I'd like but he was completed in around 3 hours over a couple of evenings because I was lazy. This fig will hold a better quality paint job so possibly he'll show up again in the future, possibly with a different weapon.

Next up we have Bril Le Ante, the mounted version. I should have pinned this guy since the Bril part was so freakin' hard to paint as opposed to the horse part. He's a vintage metal fig and the mounted version showed up here way back in week 39 of 2020 which feels like another world. He was also painted over a couple days and for the same reason. There's something distinctly different about vintage hand-sculpted figures, their smaller stature notwithstanding. I like this guy and if I was ever going to repaint a fig, this guy would be high on that list.

These next two are an exercise in persistence. He is RAFM Bard (Male) and she is RAFM Elf Ranger (Female). A couple years ago I spent a big chunk of time identifying what I thought was all of my vintage figures. Having painted these two firmly glued to their bases, I couldn't find any evidence of this and in the initial writing of this post, I decided to take one last look and guessed at the manufacturer. I lucked out and within a couple minutes had the above links. The paint jobs themselves are nothing special. He stuck around on my painting desk for most of the year picking up whatever extra paint I had in the right colors if I finished a thing up early. She was done as a speed paint over a couple days of doing other things. The story is good and the figs are painted.

This is a 3d printed Orc Blacksmith from Vae Victis. It's a mostly good sculpt full of character like a lot of their figs. There are some really annoying negative spaces, though, like between her feet and the stump, and between her left arm and her body. I also wish that some of the details were a little sharper, particularly, the straps and belts, pouches, and other tools. Possible that my printer did a bad there and you can see that the end of her hammer is missing due to a failed support--this printer does that a lot. This was otherwise a fairly enjoyable speed paint in a couple hours. This fig can probably support a better paint job so probably I'll flip her around and do a lefty version sometime in the future.

We end the year with a batch of ten skellingtons from Runeforge Skeletal Army campaign. I am a sucker for a good deal and this campaign was definitely that. I don't use a ton of undead in my campaigns usually but when I do, I need a lot of them and the samples shown in the campaign looked really good. I printed these ten out this summer in an attempt to bring my cost per fig down some (yes, I track this stuff) and they'd been bumping around since then half prepped. Well, this was the week to finish them. They're a speed paint (obviously) to the tune of about six hours for all ten. I started with a fairly run of the mill slap chop like the cool kids are doing these days but hit up additional details and washes and rust and crap after that. For reasons I don't understand every fig from my first bottle of resin is extremely brittle but everything I've printed after that have been much more durable. Overall, they aren't winning any awards but hopefully they'll terrorize my player characters sometime soon.

2022 finished mini counter: 260/100

No comments: