2020/09/27

A thing a week 2020, week 39

This week we're somewhat predictably back to minis.  This week's offering was actually done a couple weeks ago but I'm guarding against an expected time crunch sometime in the medium term.  Spoiler:  I've already broken the 100 painted figs mark this year and might break 125 if I'm diligent, so I got that goin' for me.

These four dudes are Macedonian Phalangites purchased as a single sprue--you know, the dudes who made up the bulk of Alexander the Great's army.  I chose to not glue their shields on to make them easier to paint and then never got around to prepping/painting/gluing the shields on at all.  This leaves them with a really big heavy strap over their left arm that doesn't seem to do anything.  These guys were supposed to have non metallic metal bronze for their armor but I changed my mind and did them as a speed paint instead.  The metallic is a mix of copper and gold Vallejo Metal Color and hit with a candy coat of Badger Ghost Tint Golden Yellow which really warms up the hue.  This is my go-to metallic bronze and one I like a lot.  These dudes were done in around four hours total over several days.  Like these dudes?  Tune in next week for more bronze age Greek action!

These are Greek Hoplite command guy and dual flutist.  I'm sure there's some historical reason that they come this way but I couldn't tell you what it is.  As the phalangites were painted in bronze and reds, I did these in bronze (well, the armored dude anyway) and reds too.  I'm not super keen on these sculpts.  The warrior's sword arm looks odd and my speedy paint job didn't help at all.  The dual flutist's arms are very...indistinct.  I didn't bother cutting them off their molded bases and leaned into the flock as a result.  I didn't feel fancy enough to put any freehand on his shield.  I may revisit that at a later date.  The two of them were maybe three hours total of speed painting action overlapping with the phalangites.  


This is Bril Le Ante, Hero of Light otherwise known as 01-407 from Ral Partha to schoolchildren far and wide.  He's another one of my vintage figs and is interesting because he came both on foot and on horseback.  He was mostly airbrushed, at least for the metal bits which make up most of his detail--lazy painting at its finest.  The bronze accents are the same as the Macedonians above.  The cape, face, and plume were brush painted.  He also marks my first very feeble attempt at freehand with the chevron but hey, you gotta start somewhere.  His tiny, tiny eyes were a point of significant pain.  Overall despite issues blending the cloak, he was done in a couple hours.


These two are Nolzur's Tabaxi Rogue painted as cheetahs.  My game as a couple feline races with these markings so when I found out that Nolzur's made Tabaxi figures, I knew I had to get some.  Like many figs from this line, the mold lines are awful.  One of them got counter-shaded with the airbrush, the other didn't but was cut off his broccoli base.  Both of them suffered from the non-stick effect of Pro Acryl Transparents thinned down way too much which helped nothing.  There were parts on these two that were very hard to reach and a lot of the details were muddy.  The guy with the sword and straight dagger got some screen time as a PC last year until the player moved to Australia.  He also got one of my fancy bases.  These two were a speed paint to the tune of about four hours for both of them over several days, a considerable chunk of which was painting their spots.  I think they look OK.  I might have put more effort into them if they had been a little friendlier to paint.

2020 finished mini counter:  99/50

No comments: