2020/10/04

A thing a week 2020, week 40

More minis this week as one might expect since that's most of what I've done this year.  These guys were done about a week and a half ago.  Given that it's October with a lot of 2020 left and another big batch already completed, I suspect I'll crest 125 painted figs this year.  Only one way to find out!

These eight beefy fellows are Greek Hoplites from a single sprue from Warlord, my favorite place in Englandland to buy figs from.  I documented my Phalangites last week painted in red so I didn't want to do that again.  So this time around I opted for blue and green.  In retrospect the green makes them look a little too Sparty-like.  I had the thought that I'd glaze these guys like I'd started with so very long agoPro Acryl transparents probably would have worked better if I'd worked more to bring up the highlights of the value sketch more or watered it down more.  In actuality I had to re-add the highlights anyway.  

The fleshtones were normal layering with Army Painter paints that I'm desperately trying to run out of covered by Army Painter flesh wash.  Their teeny-tiny-hidden-behind-their-shields eyes were especially painful though the poses are all my fault.  The bronze armor is Vallejo Metal Color gold and copper 3:1 tinted by Badger Ghost Tint Golden Yellow so they'd match their Macedonian neighbors.  This sounds pretty complicated but it really isn't.  I was too heavy with the candy coating on a couple of their shields because I was in a hurry and not being super careful.  

These dudes were glued to thin bases and magnetized like everything else.  Coarse sand was glued down with PVA very poorly and then primed and painted with the fig.  Flocking arrived after painting.  Prep on these guys wasn't great and I missed quite a lot of mold lines that I was too lazy to deal with during painting.  Their poses which I'm pretty pleased with also made painting really inconvenient but I knew that going in.  All told, I think these guys are OK for a speed paint and the lot of them were done in about 12 hours including prep and assembly.  

2020 finished mini counter:  107/50

No comments: