2020/10/11

A thing a week 2020, week 41

Minis again this week.  These guys have been done for a while but I'm pushing a bow wave like I like because I'm still expecting some leaner hobbying times in the medium term.  

These 13 doods are from CMON's A Song of Ice And Fire Tabletop Miniature Wargame.  More specifically, they're Stark Sworn Swords which would mean a lot more to me if I knew anything about Game of Thrones.  ASOAIF is a rank and flank wargame, notably one I don't play, but these guys and another few dozen of their closest pals were on super discount last year so I own quite a lot of them.  

These particular guy are in five poses, with the common soldiers in batches of 3 and 4.  They come attached to a 35mm (or so) base and while James Wappel recommended using a razor saw to cut them off at the feet, I clipped the little nubbies on the bottom of the base and then brute forced them off which to me seemed a little easier if less civilized.  They were pinned through one foot and laboriously cleaned of most of their mold lines.  

Like #1:  they're fairly simple and easy to paint except for the many, many straps.  I went a little overboard with my color counts and they were still pretty straightforward.  Like #2:  they're well-sculpted and made of fairly stiff plastic.  I guess I'm too used to bendy Bones figs.  Dislike #1:  they're clearly not designed for painting--way too many of their features are hidden.  I don't like having to do brush calisthenics to paint stuff but at least when it's due to my assembly ineptitude, I can only be mad at myself.  Dislike #2:  They're way too tall, about 35mm which makes them tower over my other figs, some of which are true 25mm.  This probably won't prevent me from using them in play, but dang it makes them look out of place.

Overall the lot of them were done in a speed paint batch in around seventeen hours including prep, paint, and basing.  I feel like they're at an acceptably quality and hope that they'll find use despite their scale issues whenever we get to play in person again.

2020 finished mini counter:  120/50

No comments: