2020/10/25

A thing a week 2020, week 43

I've now had my 3D printer for a couple weeks, this one, if you're curious.  As a result I've been spending quite a lot of time trying to make it work which I'm sure I'll talkwrite more about sometime later.  What better time for some lazy painting?

These two are a pair of Pike & Shotte Landsnecht Command Frames.  They were painted mostly with an airbrush as they are mostly covered in plate armor.  I'm pretty sure I bought these on sale at the end of last year.  I bought two of them and I suspect that if I'd realized they were a single character per frame I wouldn't have bought them as they're over my typical $4 per fig limit.  They got primed, shot from below with a mix of dark blue and dark metal, Vallejo Metal Color Steel from 90 degrees, and a brighter color from the top.  Details were picked out with a bronze-y highlights from back in Week 40 painting hoplites and everything covered with a gloss wash.  Overall, less than an hour for both and I like the results despite my less-than-even spraying.  

These two are from the Perry Miniatures War of the Roses:  Infantry (1455-1487) (since then, rebranded).  This is a set of 40 figures only four of which are fully-armored men at arms--when I bought them I thought they were all full plate figures.  At an extremely affordable less-than-one-dollar per fig, they make up for my Landsnecht Command Frames above.  They were painted pretty much in the same scheme above at the same time, even.  The bases are rolled-out Extra Firm Sculpey rolled out with a Green Stuff World texture roller (this one, I think). They're glued to a normal 25mm base with some coarse sand and painted with washes to dirty them up.  I was going for a busted up temple floor thing which worked OK.  Ironically, I spent more time on the bases than painting the figs.  

In keeping with the lazy painting scheme, these are two are Reaper Bones Caryatid Columns and a single Reaper Bones Gravestone of Protection.  I use golems like these quite a lot in my games so I was pretty excited to paint these.  I use a fairly predictable recipe for stone.  Prime + dark wash + drybrush + lighter drybrush--lazy painting at its finest.  I didn't even get the opportunity to base them reasonably because I quite like their built-in bases.  Total expenditure:  less than an hour for all three including prep. 

I sometimes don't count terrain toward my figure goals but this one is for sure going to be counted.  When I got my 3D printer I tried to print the test model that came with the device...which failed.  I also made a giant mess trying to clean stuff up.  So it wasn't a particularly auspicious beginning to my 3D printing.  I was pretty sure I'd messed something up until I started reading stuff online and it turns out that there's something wrong with the test model.  The next print I tried was this guy which printed perfectly.  In fact, every subsequent print has been good minus stuff I screwed up.  So this is officially my first successful 3D print which is now painted.

2020 finished mini counter:  140/50

No comments: