2023/03/19

Kitty-a-thon 2023, week 3 (2023 week 12)

For week three of Kitty-a-thon 2023 we have a hodgepodge of leonins that have needed paint for a while. It's surprisingly hard to find leonin figures because they're not super common in games but they're common people in my fantasy games. That poses some fun logistical issues.

From left to right we have Reaper Bones Avatar of Courage, Kyros, Lionman Warpriest from Comet Lord Miniatures, Leonin Ranger from Galaad, and Leonidal from Printed Obsession. They weren't as much a batch paint as pervious since they only really share their skinfurtones. 

The Avatar of Courage is painted as a Zulu warrior which matches his attire. I was pretty sure that getup was from history so I did some searches and figured it out. He's got some gaps in his arms which came separate and because I'm lazy I didn't paint in subassemblies. I wanted to do more with his muscles but honestly, I wasn't feeling it and was done in a couple hours. The lows need to be lower and the highs aren't high enough. I've got another which I expect to do a better job with.

Kyros is like a lot of 3d sculpts: very cool in preview but very hard to paint. He's got a mess of negative space and because he's resin, he's kind of brittle. I didn't do enough work pulling supports off and he's got the scars to prove it. Ultimately I think it's an OK result for the three-ish hours I spent. 

The Leonin Ranger is a pretty good sculpt (Galaad does good work) and my printer really didn't do a good job. Like I said, it's kind of broken. The pose is doing most of the work on this fig. Unlike a lot of sculpts, he doesn't have a surfeit of details. He's painted simply but because he isn't extra complex, every piece is a little bit better than otherwise in the two-ish hours I spent. I'll almost certainly print and paint this figure again somewhere in the unforseeable future.

The Leonidal is the problem child of this group. He's got a stupid number of details. He's got a huge amount of negative space. He's got a bunch of soft details that are hard to distinguish on his armor. He didn't print correctly. As such I didn't spend as much time on him though more than the others over time. I repainted his cloak probably four times and didn't even end up in a good place. I probably spent four or five hours on him all told and the best I can say is that he's painted.

2023 finished mini counter: 82/104

No comments: