2023/03/26

Kitty-a-thon 2023, week 4 (2023 week 13)

Kitty-a-thon 2023 continues with three lovelies and one big bruiser. 

The gal on the left is Cursed Sands Lionness from Titan Forge. I've bemoaned the paucity of lion figures in the past and female leonin figures are even more rare for reasons I cannot fathom. This sculpt has some not fun negative space and I wrestled a lot with my color choices. I don't think her linen-colored details sell particularly well and the yellow trim on it really doesn't sell. Dark lining might have saved that choice but nearing the end of this theme I was seriously running out of steam. Astute viewers will also note the pock mark on her hood because I haven't used my printer correctly, maybe ever. I expect to print this gal again at some point and push more than the three-ish hours I spent on her.

Next up we have Cheetah Girl from Reaper and she's a metal fig. This sculpt did a lot of the work and while I didn't have to pick out the stripes in different colors, I figured that I should. The color scheme sells a little better here though the highlights on the red didn't photograph well. Her spots and markings on her face freehand weren't hard but the spots are probably too regular. Either way, I'm counting her as a high quality figure that I spent somewhere like six hours on. I'm happy with the result and expect to buy and re-paint this figure again. 

On the left we have Hu-Ren from Wrath of Kings, a game that I notably don't play. We saw his box-mate Za'ken way back in Week 3 of this year. I had hoped to use him as an NPC in the predecessor of my current Saturday game but never got him fully painted. In fact, I started painting, stopped, re-prepped, and re-started painting twice before carrying him over the finish line with this theme. His sculpt also has some really lousy negative space and the seam where his head fits is really, really serious and I did not do a good job filling it. Looking at the shots here, probably I should have colored his armor at least slightly differently; it's pretty samey even if it sells better up close. The shading on his fur, on the other hand, I think worked well. Sadly, I have to conclude that the base is the best part of the paint job.

Last up is Rashakin Headhunter - Modular F from Artisan Guild and I super love this fig. Like Cheetah Girl, the sculpt did most of the work and the bulk of the lift was done with the airbrush and washes.That didn't stop me from spending hours on her fur not including the freehand stripes. I especially like that her face is so expressive and I spent extra time there, too. I figured that the teal details would be fine over the orange pop-color of her fur but looking at the finished pics they're a little detracting. Overall if I'd spent a little more effort on the details, particularly her clothes, I might have counted her as a high quality fig. Probably we should expect to see her re-printed and re-painted at a later date.

2023 finished mini counter: 86/104, 4/10 high quality

No comments: