2023/01/15

A thing a week 2023, week 3

This week we have "stuff sitting on my painting table" in preparation for a bunch of other work. 

First up we have Stranger from Titan Forge. It's a simple figure which I like and the sculpt conveys an air of old school mystery. I'd intended to paint him mostly with the airbrush and did put some blue on his cloak along those lines but only succeeded in making a mess. The blue on his cloak is thus very patchy and somewhat shiny due to multiple coats of an indigo ink and sketchy coats of anti-shine. And for reasons I don't fully understand, the prime was really thick and obscured some of the details. All told, he's done in a couple hours but I think the fig will support a much better paint job than I'm showing here. 

This is Adowyn Iconic Hunter from Reaper Bones who came in my Bones 4 order what seems like forever ago. She's sat partially painted on my table for a couple years now. The molding on her face is really soft and as a result I had to work extra hard to get a decent face on her. Other details were pretty hard to pick out, too, and I kind of wanted to be lore adjacent for this paint job. I got the last part but truth be told this was a fairly torturous piece of work. I don't like overly-detailed figs and she's got a lot of details. I also wouldn't hazard a guess as to how long it took since it spanned so much calendar time. Probably 6ish hours over those couple years. Also, I'm glad she's (finally) painted.

This a 3d print of a great sculpt from one of my favorite sculptors: Half-Orc Wizard from Vae Victis. This is not a good paint job. His skin tones are flat and I didn't do enough to light his volumes well. And if you're asking "did I put words in his book", the answer is no. I do like this color scheme, though, and as mentioned earlier, I really like this sculpt so probably he's getting printed/painted again at some point in the future. He's done in maybe three hours all told.


Next up we have Aileen, Celtic Wizard from Twin Goddess. There's lots to like about this sculpt like her expressive face and fun pose. There's also a lot to not like such as the very small connection point between her wrist which broke off way too often and the negative spaces on her shoulder and back. I also made a mess when de-supporting the print so she's got a bunch of scars a couple of which are tragically on her face. I love the hair, though, and being Celtic, I naturally had to make her a ginger. Because she's not a super complex sculpt I spent a lot of time on her face and hair which I think paid off. She, too may be printed again sometime in the unforsee-able future. 

This is Shael Han Za'ken from Wrath of Kings bereft of his kitty partner who will show up some day. His getup is pretty fancy, maybe too fancy, and he had awful mold lines and a really bad mold of his face. I did what I could with those and more or less speed painted him in a few hours. I started to like the sculpt more when I was done so it's probably good that I have a second waiting in my pile of potential. 


Last up we have a Tabaxi Assassin from Printed Obsession. If it's not already obvious, I have a weakness for kitty girls and I super duper love this fig's dynamism. The plethora of super tiny details, negative space, and bajillion straps on the other hand, I'm less fond of. As an early print before I'd cranked up the res some, she's got some pretty bad visible layers over a lot of very fine details so overall I wasn't super happy. And yes, I did intentionally not paint her buckles in metallics. You don't want metal glinting over light sources as an assassin, do you? She's been on my painting table for quite a while and even though there's a lot of room for improvement, it'll have to wait till next print. 

2023 finished mini counter: 19/104





No comments: