2023/01/08

A thing a week 2023, week 2

This week we have a continuation of the lizardpeople theme, this time sculpts from One Page Rules. These are particularly Saurian Warriors, Saurian Gecko Priest and Saurian Veteran. There's good and bad with these figs. They're awfully busy which fits the aesthetic I guess, and they're modular but in a mess of pieces. My printer struggled to not deform them as they printed which left some seriously awful gaps that I didn't handle super well. If I print these again in the future I'll spend more time filling gaps and whatnot. 

They were mostly painted with the airbrush but I didn't quite get to where I wanted to go. I intended to do a color shift from magenta to scarlet but the various washes and drybrushes I did obscured all of that. My takeaways here is "less is more" and "use fewer washes" both of which I kind of already knew. I also had aspirations to shade their metallics more but I clearly did almost none of that as per usual. Ultimately I think they're striking and to the casual observer they're fine (I checked). They were done in around ten hours for the seven of them which is pretty quick all things considered.

In addition to being out of focus (as per usual) these shots don't really capture the good stuff and make them look awfully flat. In person they're a lot less so and the "rock" bases in particular look much nicer. In retrospect looking at these shots, I really should have done more with their metallics like I wanted to. Next time, maybe. 

2023 finished mini counter: 13/104

No comments: