2023/08/20

A thing a week 2023, week 34

This week we have assorted speedpainted bads. They're not all that interesting but I got to mess around with some fun effects so I've got that goin' for me.

First up the minions, in this case, Blacklist Fantasy Series 1 Fire Beetles. I could have looked up what these guys were supposed to be but I didn't and so I painted them in faux metallic. I did zenithal these (for all the good it did me) but I covered all that up with mostly transparent metallics through the airbrush, and no, beyond being a Vallejo Metal Color, I don't remember which one. Once they were airbrushed I hit them with a coat of Badger Ghost Tints and did just about nothing else. The metallics and candy coat do a lot of the heavy lifting to the point that I'm hoping folks don't realize how lousy a paint job these were.

But what if we did the same technique on a bigly fig? Well, that would be this guy. This is a Bones 4 Giant Rhino Beetle and he's painted exactly the same way and with the same colors. I could have picked out the weird textury thing on his back with a different color, but I didn't. I like the color effects but honestly, way more effort went into painting the rockery badly than with the rest of the fig. I do like this fig but I'm not super likely to strip and repaint it.




Last up we have these crappy constructs which belong in a Skyrim Dwemer ruins more than they do in my game. I use a lot of constructs but these guys look way more clockwork than I'm comfortable with TBH. That clearly didn't prevent me from painting them badly, however. They're a copper to gold fade which mostly doesn't read unless you pick the figure up and look closely at them but I think that part looks pretty good regardless. It looks like my drybrushing pulled up some of the paint on their heads but in fact, my airbrushing was just bad since it was the end of a session and my paint was not cooperating. For the about an hour I spent on all five of these guys, they're the best color: painted.

2023 finished mini counter: 184/104


No comments: