2023/08/27

A thing a week 2023, week 35

This week we have a mini-theme of rogue gals! That's right, these are all rogues or rogue-adjacent gals many of whom are 3d prints. Many of those 3d prints have weird printing errors so we got that goin' for us.

The gal on the left is Southern Archer from The Printing Goes Ever On. She may be the only one of my prints today that doesn't have a serious issue. I like that this sculpt is uncomplicated which means that I have the choice of either going fast with reasonable quality or spending the normal amount of time at higher quality. My only real gripe about the sculpt is that her face is hidden by her cowl which makes painting tiny details much, much harder. 

The gal on the right is Female Ranger from Galaad and her bow is fucked up. I love this sculpt and it's from one of my favorite sculptors. I'm not super sold on the green of her outfit thought it felt right when I was painting her. I spent a bunch of extra time on her face but overall not enough time to warrant a high quality paint job. Now that I have a new printer (Saturn 2 if you're curious), we should expect her to show up here again sometime in the unforseeable future.

These mirrored Rogue gals are also from Galaad and I mostly like this sculpt. Sadly, their arms are pancaked so I didn't have to feel bad about not spending more time painting them. I do wish their cloaks were, I dunno, a little less long and flowy because a) they're a pain to paint, and b) it looks like they'd drag badly on the ground were it not for the invisible wind. They're mostly painted in contrast paints as has been my habit of late. I experimented with white hair on the one which I liked a lot and I also experimented with mixing my own fleshtones on many of these. That worked out OK but in these photos it looks a little too blue. Also, the highlights on the black cloak doesn't really work. Both painted, though, and that counts for something. Namely two ticks on the finished mini counter.

Last up we have Goonmaster Human Rogue 1, Titan Forge Bodyguard, and Reaper Bones Lanelle. The rogue's sculpt is probably too complex and I spent a lot of time just trying to get all the details painted. Also, despite the fact that I like her dynamic pose, she was a real pain to glue down to the base and you can almost see the hole in her foot where I failed to pin her. The details are a little soft which I'm not a fan of, especially on the cloak. 

The Bodyguard is a good sculpt that I really made a mess of. Either the print was soft, the prime was too heavy, or both. Either way the details were soft and despite spending a bunch of time on her, the result isn't super good. Probably she'll show up again in the future. 

Lanelle is a good sculpt with a really, really bad molding defect. Her chin is almost completely missing which means that no matter what I did, there was no amount of sculpting with paint that was going to fix it. Other than that, the dumb fantasy shoulder pads, and her iffy weapons, I really like this fig. And for reasons that I don't fully understand, this paint job came out way better than the others despite spending no more time on her. 

2023 finished mini counter: 191/104



No comments: