2023/11/19

A thing a week 2023, week 47

This week we're getting completely out of order because my life is apparently not complicated enough. Many of these were painted far away from home while I was helping care for a sick family member so the quality and color palette are both limited.

First up we have Merowyn Lightstar from Reaper Bones 4, Woman Pirate by Vae Victis, Dame Teuta by Crippled God Foundry and Lucius the Templar also from Crippled God Foundry. These are speed paints which should be obvious since Lucius' shield has exactly zero heraldry on it despite the fact that the sculptor clearly gave me a large space to do so. Other than the pirate gal, they're mostly armor so most of the heavy lifting is done by Vallejo Metal Colors and a handful of hastily applied washes. I'm reminded (again) that the red contrast paint I'm using as a basecoat needs to be thinned down. I'm also reminded that I need to paint more dark fleshtones so don't be surprised if you see the right three again here some day.

Next up we have Blacklist Fantasy Series 1 dwarf barbarian, dwarf bard, and dwarf ranger. These were the first ones I painted away from home and that setup was nowhere near ideal. On top of bad and inconsistent lighting, I was in a really arid place and my paints frequently dried on my wet palette. Also, I didn't have my nice brushes or nice paints because I had no idea what would make it through airport security (note: I shouldn't have worried). As I've said for many of the blf1 figs, their sculpts are generally OK but their molds are lousy. I also didn't know my dark blue basecoat (Vallejo Air Color Steel Blue if you care) would dry quite so glossy. Note the lousy metallics. 

Next up we have two more blf1 dwarf druid and gnome cleric joined by Blink Berenwicket from Bones 4. All three of these probably needed more work than they actually got, particularly poor Blink who was not well served by ProAcryl metallics and the lousy raw umber ink wash I stuck over the top. I did some minimal non-wash-assisted blacklining that pseudo-sells but I was really hurting for another purple tone for the cleric. There were certainly better paint jobs on the table for all three but that clearly didn't happen and it looks like I glued Blink's arm on wrong so I got that goin' for me.

Last up, also from blf1 we have halfing bard, dwarf fighter, and dwarf wizard who I thought for sure was a monk (he's not; that guy'll arrive later). These are pretty good sculpts that I prepped not nearly well enough. The mold lines on the blf1 figs are pretty awful and the hard plastic makes it even less convenient to deal with. The wizard would have benefitted from some darker brown leather parts if not a completely different color scheme entirely especially given how dark my dark purple wasn't. Ultimately they were never going to be great paint jobs done far away from home. 

2023 finished mini counter: 282/104




No comments: