2024/02/04

Blacklist Backlog week 2 (2024 week 5)

We continue our finish sprint of the remaining Blacklist Fantasy Series 1 figs. Will I ever see the Blacklist Fantasy Series 2 figs I kickstarted so many years ago? Stay tuned!

First up we have Male Human Cleric, Vampire Lord, and Female Human Paladin. The first and last will likely get some play but I don't use a lot of vampires in my game. I just don't like them. The reds were played by Contrast Paints rather than the Army Painter Speed Paints 2.0 that I've been experimenting with (note the shininess). The blending on these works better in person than in the (relatively) harsh light I shoot in, similarly for the armor metallics. I guessed on the gal's breastplate which I interpreted as metal but I have no idea if that's what was intended. Also, it doesn't count as armor if it doesn't cover your vitals. The vampire's white shirt super blew out in my lights which is yet another indication that I need to turn them down another notch. Aside from the vampire, I like these figs who were all done in around eight hours.

Next up we have Lich Lord, Male Dwarf Monk, and Female Human Constable. Of the three, I like the Constable the best and spent the most time on her. The Lich is plain and simple a speed paint since I don't use a lot of undead and the (lack of ) quality shows. I punted on the dwarf's paint job. I moved back and forth on the colors on his various bits before I settled on the blue and grey. There's nowhere near enough separation on the grey bits with the cording and while I like the blue and leathers, the greys really sink the paint job. The constable probably needed 10 minutes more on her hair which is a little too stark, and another 10 minutes on the shading on her coat which looks much nicer in person. I have no idea why the sculptor gave the lich a skeletal face and jacked arms. Ugh.

Last up we have Male Elf Paladin, Male Elf Rogue, and Half Elf Fighter. I have no idea why so many elves are showing up late in this feed but here we are. I had good luck blending on these and in this case the shiny red works for the fighter's presumably-laquered armor. His head is a little small which is weird. The leather on our emo-rogue did not come out well and I mostly phoned it in (obviously). The sanest of the three and notably the one I like the most is the Paladin. He's got a good level of detail unlike the other two and I probably should have spent more time shading his armor. And I'ma soapbox for a sec here.The paladin has a realistic sword. It's arguably too big for one handed use but it has a prominent pommel (for balance) and a fairly simple crossguard. Good. The rogue has a stupid fantasy dagger. Why? There are plenty of super-cool historicals that could be there and instead we get weird cutouts and depressions and a handle that is stupidly long. Finally, why does the clearly Samurai-inspired fighter have a European-styled sword? At least his scabbard isn't on his back. 

2024 finished mini counter: 36/208





No comments: