2024/02/25

A thing a week 2024, week 8

Our Blacklist Fantasy Series 1 nightmare over, we move back to the amorphous ridiculousness that this blog would be known for if anyone actually read it. One problem at a time.

First up we have 3d printed Onyx, Ironborn Fighter from DnD is a Woman and I made a very bad stupid dumb mistake. I printed them too small, like 28mm. These sculpts are way too thin to do this and they broke about a million times which probably shows if you look closely. As they're mostly armor and I was mortified of breaking them again while painting, they're  mostly painted with Vallejo Metal Color with the airbrush. There are no characters like this in my fantasy worlds so they might see use as golems which are probably over-represented but I dunno that I'm brave enough to stick them back on the table. They're a speed paint done in like 45 minutes total.

This is a Reaper Bones 4 Maggotcrown Juggernaut and he is also a speed paint. Astute viewers may note that he's also mostly armor and thus he also was mostly painted with the airbrush. I don't have a lot of undead in my fantasy worlds either so I legit have no clue when he might get screen time so I'm not super bothered by the time I didn't spend on this fig. He's painted and that counts and proves again that I can go fast if I want to. What would I do if I was punching him up a notch? Probably more detail work on his gloves, straps, stupid skull, and other details in addition to an awful lot more work in shading through glazes or washes or whatnot. Probably edge highlighting with a very shiny chrome would be good, too.

Next up we have a Bones 4 Devil whose pals we saw way back in week 28 of 2023. I also don't use a lot of demons in play except for last campaign which has since wrapped up. Her two chucklehead pals started as mini-bosses of the last half of that campaign so it's only fitting that she was the last boss of that campaign. No clue when I'll use demons again but I have them if I need them. As she's mostly exposed skin like her pals, she was also painted mostly with the airbrush with a color shift low to high of magenta to orangey-red. In this case the shiny worked to my advantage on her wings which were otherwise washes over simple drybrush. I lost a lot of the shading when doing the red on her skintones which I didn't bother to extra-highlight. With more time, demon dots, better handling of the super soft metallics, and probably painting her horns in a bone color rather than black which IMO doesn't look as nice.

This guy is also from Bones 4, particularly a Cave Troll. He's mostly slapchopped using Army Painter Speed Paint 2.0 and picking out highlights and details after that. The sculpt is doing most of the work here though I did pick out the teeth with a glossy white and each of the scales a few times. I think this is a good result for the hour or so I spent on him. The glossy is doing work on his skintones on purpose again here which is nice and marks a distinction between the super flat of his scales and (most of) his other details.

 

Rounding out this week's offering is a Nolzur's Umber Hulk and was a gift from a pal quite a long time ago. Unlike a lot of the other figs here, I have a lot of uses for his guy and was surprised to see how well he fit in a multitude of roles followed by disappointment for not having painted him sooner. The ultra speed paint target, he's a) mostly painted with the airbrush, b) washed slightly beyond that, and c) a handful of purposely shiny bits and other details. Much like the Ultramarine chapter of your favorite James Workshop Grimdark Shooty Bang Game (TM), he's named his paint scheme which is awfully convenient. Done in about a half hour all told, he's the epitome of high drama, low effort painting--my favorite.

2024 finished mini counter: 55/208





No comments: