2024/03/03

A thing a week 2024, week 9

Leaving Blacklist Fantasy behind at least until I either find the missing monk or Series 2 finally ships (still not optimistic), we're going on to the perennial topic: clearing out stuff on my painting table. It never ends, people.

This is Aurielle - Female Ranger from RN Estudio, a sculptor that I like a lot. Howcome we haven't seen more (any?) of their sculpts here? Turns out that a lot of their earlier sculpts are unsupported which is a real pain but fret not, there are more on the way. I watch most movies that I watch very late in the cycle and I am very well versed in Tolkien's works so I was unprepared to learn that this sculpt was assumedly inspired by a character in Peter Jackson's exceptionally long The Hobbit trilogy. I've since watched that trilogy. I have thoughts but that's not what we're here for today.

I spent a lot of time on this fig though certainly not as much as I could have. We're somewhere in the ballpark of 25 hours or so over the last couple months mostly done in between doing other work, particularly if I had the appropriate paints on my palette and wasn't done for the day. Printed in the summer of 2022, she got some random blue airbrush overspray and sat in my "to do" list for quite a while. 

I spent upwards of five hours just on her face and particularly her eyes which I super failed to photograph reasonably. Her hair probably could have gotten a lot more work given that there's so much of it but my brush skills just aren't at the point of picking out individual locks especially where the details are so shallow. In reviewing the shots here, I note that I missed one of  her hair bands that should be metallic but I'm just going to leave it as a detail to do better on next time so don't be surprised if she shows up again. 

With the time spent, she'll qualify as my fourth high quality fig on the year.

2024 finished mini counter: 56/208, 4/12 high quality

No comments: