2019/04/28

Crafting challenge, week 4


This week I've got two things.  Well, one article (this was a fun one) and several builds.  This week I've been busy building a new game.  I'll save my design level comments for a different time but I will say that a) it's a somewhat streamlined version of my other game, b) it's a sci-fi setting, c) it's a lot more sandboxy than the other game.  I'm at the point of really testing combat rules and I needed tokens.  So I built some.


I haven't done any serious Legoing (yes, I verbed that) since last SHIPtember.  I also usually don't build at this scale.  So I'm both rusty and kind of out of where my expertise lies.  I've got lots of parts, too, just not many in this particular scale.  It's been...challenging.

I've always been impressed with micro-builds even though I tend to build really big.  This goes back to my early days in the hobby trying to mentally deconstruct the myriad train and space builds at shows.  Now, nine years on I still do this at shows.  I also usually try to build or at the very least go through the instructions for the sets I buy because there's usually an interesting part usage hiding in there somewhere.

For this little excursion, I wanted a bunch of mecha and small fighters.  I got a bunch of fighters and a really big mecha.  Most of them are significantly bigger than I wanted but will work for my testing purposes and might be good platforms to build gunships and whatnot on.  Turns out I'm not good at building small.  The mecha has proved quite difficult given all the articulation I want to pack in there.

At any rate, I think this is a start.  I'm not exactly overflowing with sci-fi minis and I really don't need to be buying even more minis that I don't have time to paint.  Hopefully in the future I'll be able to crank out stuff closer to the scale I want







No comments: