2020/01/05

A thing a week 2020, week 1

Starting the year we've got something different.  I'm pretty sure I've said this before here, but I love building tools, especially if they're going to get a lot of usage.  I'd built a paint holder when I started mini painting for realz about a year and a half ago.  That's like a million years in game developer time.  Since then I've picked up some additional paint racks and quite a lot of additional paints to the point that the storage I have is overflowing.  Furthermore, none of my racks can hold large ink bottles like these.

Basic construction is double thickness cardboard and medium weight chipboard--basically the same stuff I built my old tiles out of.  It took about a day to cut everything and jam it together with hot glue and PVA.  Then everything got a couple coats of random hardware store rattle can paint that I once thought I could use for minis.  Note:  Reaper Bones are very particular about primers.

Overall, it fits its purpose--it holds paint.  The brush holders on top didn't work and I'll probably rip those off.  They're too far back to reach easily so I don't think revisiting them is going to be useful.  The basic rack parts are also pretty tight because I didn't account for the width of the chipboard when planning it out.  I made the same mistake on the old one but that was like a million years ago.  I'm not helped by the fact that Pro Acryl bottles are slightly larger than Army Painter droppers.

edit:  this guy didn't want to publish for some reason. 

No comments: