2020/01/12

A thing a week 2020, week 2

This week we have a mini.  This is the crossbow variant of Nolzur's Human Female Ranger.  (The bow variant is way back here.)  She's mostly a good fig.  I had to work extra hard to get some expression in her face and there are places that are super hard to reach with a brush like behind the bow or underneath the cloak.  Given the myriad other figs I've painted, it feels like these are less well laid out.

The goal was to take her as far as I could reasonably go in about 25 hours so this currently marks the limit of quality that I can produce.  I painted as many details as I could stand in addition to these four things:
  • I pushed the lighting through different colors rather than relying on zenithal and glazes with special attention to increasing tonal variation.
  • The cloak marks the first serious attempt at wet blending I've done.  
  • I put extra attention into details on her face despite the questionable sculpt.  
  • I used a color wheel for the first time for color composition and put some thought into having color triangles.  
I'm not unhappy with the quality but I don't think it's my best work despite what I saidtyped above.    I'd prepped the model a while ago and really didn't do a good job and since most of this fig was painted late in the night over a couple weeks, my brush work is not all as non-sloppy as it should be.  She does look better in person than in these lousy phone shots, FWIW.  

On the other hand, I quite like wet blending.  It's faster and easier than a lot of the other blending methods I've tried and gives a lot more time to adjust if it goes wrong.  I've done more of this since I did the cloak on this fig and it's getting better.  

2020 finished mini counter:  1/50

edit:  apparently didn't hit "publish" even though it was ready to go on time :/

No comments: